Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Socialist perspectives on politics, economics, and culture
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Jacobin Magazine (number of quotes indicated):
- Bernie Sanders (1) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke (1) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Elizabeth Warren (2) Massachusetts Senator
- Howard Schultz (1) Starbucks CEO; independent for President (suspended)
- Jerry Brown (1) California Democratic Governor
- Joe Biden (5) Democratic V.P.
- John Hickenlooper (1) Colorado Democratic Colorado Governor
- Julian Castro (8) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (7) California Democratic nominee for Vice President; California Senator
- Kirsten Gillibrand (3) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Michael Bennet (1) Colorado Democratic candidate for President; Colorado Senator
- Mike Gravel (1) Democratic challenger for president
- Nancy Pelosi (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California-12
- Noam Chomsky (6)
- Tulsi Gabbard (7) Hawaii Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from HI-2
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Articles in Jacobin magazine:
- "The Task Ahead Is Enormous, and There Is Not Much Time," Noam Chomsky interview by Harrison Samphir, 07.12.2019
- "Stick With Bernie," by Carl Beijer, May 3, 2019
- "Mike Gravel Should Be on the 2020 Debate Stage," by Branko Marcetic, May 2019
- "Julian Castro's Early, Neoliberal Years," by Branko Marcetic, 2/15/2019
- "Howard Schultz's #MeToo Problem at Starbucks," by Liza Featherstone, Feb. 2019
- "Socialism and Progressives," 1/8/2019
- "Biden on Mass Incarceration," 8/9/18
- "Joe Biden, Neoliberal Democrat," 8/7/18
- "Joe Biden: Military Hawk," 8/2/18
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Kamala Harris: Prosecuted fewer foreclosure fraud cases than smaller states.
Julian Castro: Protections for GLBTQ; benefits to same-sex partners.
Howard Schultz: Starbucks did little to stop sexual harassment of employees.
Tulsi Gabbard: Against gay marriage but no government morality.
Julian Castro: Supported tax breaks to lure corporations.
Elizabeth Warren: Proposes new federal limits for corporations.
Kamala Harris: Tough stance on mortgage lenders fell short.
Kamala Harris: Focus on helping non-violent young offenders.
Kamala Harris: Defied pressure for death penalty for cop killer.
Joe Biden: 1989: Bush didn't go far enough in War on Drugs.
Joe Biden: Proud of backing tough drug laws & penalties.
Joe Biden: 1981: Militarized domestic police against drugs.
Julian Castro: Extended Pre-K education for needy kids.
Elizabeth Warren: Invest in education, but focus on results.
Energy & Oil|
Noam Chomsky: Limited time on climate change; US going in wrong direction.
Noam Chomsky: Market can't solve climate change, structural changes needed.
Noam Chomsky: Task ahead enormous & there is not much time.
Julian Castro: Green Jobs Leadership Council: more solar; less coal.
Julian Castro: Supported both fossil fuel and green energy.
Kamala Harris: Prosecuted polluters for illegal dumping and air pollution.
Families & Children|
Kamala Harris: Punish parents of chronically truant kids.
Noam Chomsky: Israel relies on support from reactionary fundamentalists.
Noam Chomsky: Establish a nuclear weapons free zone in Middle East.
Tulsi Gabbard: Skeptical of Iran nuclear deal.
Tulsi Gabbard: Supports Egyptian dictator in fight against terrorism.
Tulsi Gabbard: Against criticizing India's treatment of Muslims.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Opposes boycotts of businesses in Israel.
Beto O`Rourke: Supports Medicare for America as public option.
Kamala Harris: Require pharmaceutical companies to allow generics.
Jerry Brown: How would we pay for single-payer?
John Hickenlooper: Too soon to make changes in Obamacare.
Michael Bennet: Single payer would lead to massive tax increase.
Nancy Pelosi: Single payer plans better handled by states.
Julian Castro: Supported military expansion into cybersecurity.
Joe Biden: 1991: Favors government "back doors" into encryption.
Tulsi Gabbard: 2015: Favor Christian over Islamic refugees.
Kirsten Gillibrand: 2007 SAVE Act: beef up border; oppose sanctuary cities.
Kirsten Gillibrand: 2010: moratorium on government immigration raids.
Julian Castro: Opposed unionizing city employees.
Principles & Values|
Bernie Sanders: 2019 OpEd: Bernie is best chance to beat Biden.
Joe Biden: Freeze entitlements; don't favor special interests.
Julian Castro: Senior/disabled property tax freeze favored wealthy.
War & Peace|
Noam Chomsky: No-nuke zone in Middle East would end military aid to Israel.
Mike Gravel: Filibustered to end the military draft.
Tulsi Gabbard: Use military to fight terrorists, not for regime change.
Tulsi Gabbard: Opposes fighting in Afghanistan & Syria; end arms to Saudis.
The above quotations are from Jacobin Magazine
Socialist perspectives on politics, economics, and culture.