2014 Mississippi Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 MS Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Chris McDaniel (16) Republican challenger Mississippi
- Thad Cochran (4) Republican Sr Senator Mississippi
- Travis Childers (1) Democratic Senate challenger Mississippi
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Mississippi Senate debates:
- Washington Post, "Childers agrees to anti-amnesty pledge that Chris McDaniel signed", by Sean Sullivan, October 2, 2014
- AARP Voter Guide (on Travis Childers), Aug. 31, 2014
- The Hill weblog, "Miss. court again sides against McDaniel," by Alexandra Jaffe, July 25, 2014
- Politico.com weblog, "McDaniel condemns race comments ," by Jonathan Topaz, July 4, 2014
- N. Y. Times, "Upset Fueling Tea Party Hope in Senate Race," by Nick Corasaniti & Sheryl Gay Stolberg, 6/13/2014
- The Hill e-zine, "McDaniel urges churchgoers in Mississippi to 'reclaim your country again'", by Alexandra Jaffe, 5/18/2014
- Rollcall.com and OnTheIssues AdWatch: "Thad Cochran's Fourth TV Ad Touts Record, Endorsements", by Kyle Trygstad, April 1, 2014
- The Hill, "Cochran ties for lowest ACU score", 2/28/2014
- Politico.com, "Mississippi 2014 election," by Alexander Burns, 2/19/14
- NewsMax.com, "GOP Insurgent Threatens Mississippi's Sen. Cochran", by John Gizzi, Jan. 20, 2014
- Huffington Post, "There Aren't Enough Muslim Movie Villains", by Samantha Lachman, 1/14/2014
- Mother Jones magazine, "Hip-hop and gun violence", 1/7/2014
- KXLF-4 (Butte), "Veterans' driver licenses", Jan 6, 2014
- Jonathan Martin in New York Times, "7th term", December 6, 2013
- Politico.com on PAC endorsements, 10/17/13
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Chris McDaniel: Era of big spending is over; age of appropriations must end.
Chris McDaniel: Those in D.C. don't appear to be listening.
Chris McDaniel: As host of Right Side Radio, railed against hip-hop culture.
Chris McDaniel: Dems want homosexual marriage legal in all 50 states.
Chris McDaniel: Supported Katrina relief, but some funds were misspent.
Chris McDaniel: Uphold property rights; oppose Supreme Court's Kelo decision.
Thad Cochran: The Quiet Persuader: Got $29B for Katrina rebuilding.
Families & Children|
Chris McDaniel: Hip-hop culture values prison more than college.
Chris McDaniel: Opposed Sec. Def. Hagel as "too soft on Iran".
Travis Childers: End tax breaks for big corporations that ship jobs overseas.
Thad Cochran: OpEd: Earmarked spending brings federal funds to Mississippi.
Chris McDaniel: Blames rising gun violence on "hip-hop" culture.
Chris McDaniel: Preserve the rights of gun owners.
Chris McDaniel: Why are Muslims never portrayed as villains by Hollywood?
Chris McDaniel: Waterboarding was effective on suspected 9/11 terrorists.
Principles & Values|
Chris McDaniel: OpEd: Cochran accused of courting blacks for runoff vote.
Chris McDaniel: Revive America's Christian foundation.
Thad Cochran: AdWatch: American Conservative Union's lowest-scored Senator.
Chris McDaniel: Tied to Tea Party and endorsed by conservative groups.
Thad Cochran: First elected in 1978; still undecided about 2014 retirement.
Welfare & Poverty|
Chris McDaniel: No welfare state: "I'm not going to do anything for you".
The above quotations are from 2014 Mississippi Senate debates.
- The New Black Politician: Cory Booker, Newark, and Post-Racial America (D, NJ)
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- A Tribute to 101 Incredible Women, by Senate candidate Joyce Dickerson (D, SC)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)