2014 Minnesota Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 MN Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Al Franken (4) Democrat/DFL Jr Senator Minnesota
- Heather Johnson (10) Libertarian Challenger Minnesota
- Jim Abeler (6) Republican challenger Minnesota
- Mike McFadden (22) Republican Challenger Minnesota
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Minnesota Senate debates: (August primary)
- Morrison County Record OpEd: "Franken, McFadden treating voters poorly", August 28, 2014
- Star Tribune, "Republicans trying to recapture statewide viability in primary", by Patrick Condon, August 10, 2014
- The Hill weblog, "Dem-controlled Senate land of '10,000 excuses'," by Benjamin Goad, Aug. 9, 2014
- News Examiner, "Interview with candidate Heather Johnson", by Bob Knudsen, Aug. 11, 2014
- Duluth News Tribune, "Why I support PolyMet", by Mike McFadden, Jun 15, 2014
- Minneapolis Post, "Battling for Minnesota GOP endorsement," by Briana Bierschbach, 05/31/14
- Minneapolis Post, "McFadden gets 'soft-focus' specific", by Cyndy Brucato, 5/12/14
- AdWatch: The Hill e-zine, "Franken touts small business work in first ad", May 6, 2014
- N. Y. Times, "Campaign Against Comcast Is No Joke", by Ashley Parker, April 11, 2014
- The Huffington Post, "GOP Candidate Refuses Basic Questions About Equal Pay", by Samantha Lachman, 4/10/2014
- Washington Post, "Franken: So sorry for that terrible law 100 years ago", by Colby Itkowitz, 4/3/2014
- Wall Street Journal, "Franken Draws Attack Ad From American Encore", by Patrick O'Connor, March 25, 2014
- CBS News, "Franken seeks more assistance for school lunches", by Stephanie Condon, March 18, 2014
- Minneapolis Star Tribune, "D.C. Republicans", by Corey Mitchell, March 9, 2014
- Minneapolis Star Tribune, "Act fast to reject Common Core," by Jim Abeler, Feb. 14, 2014
- Patrick Condon, Associated Press, "Sex offenders", December 2, 2013
- Deb Gau in Marshall Independent, "Offers substance", November 28, 2013
- Lori Sturdevant in Minneapolis Star Tribune, Nov. 23, 2013
- Star Tribune reporting on Senate hearing, Nov. 14, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Mike McFadden: Anti-abortion and pro-guns.
Budget & Economy|
Jim Abeler: Led $3.8B in human services cuts to close MN budget gap.
Mike McFadden: We've been spending like a drunken sailor.
Heather Johnson: LGBT persons are created with inalienable right to marry.
Mike McFadden: Gay marriage ok; but I'm personally for traditional marriage.
Heather Johnson: Don't use eminent domain for private companies' benefit.
Al Franken: Oppo AdWatch: Franken limits free speech issue advocacy.
Heather Johnson: Don't punish victimless crimes like prostitution & gambling.
Jim Abeler: Major overhaul needed for sex offender laws.
Heather Johnson: Release prisoners convicted of marijuana possession.
Heather Johnson: Common Core is unconstitutional, and also underhanded.
Jim Abeler: Oppose Common Core's centralized federal oversight.
Mike McFadden: Measure more; dictate reading lists less.
Energy & Oil|
Heather Johnson: Federal legislation has limited alternative energy.
Mike McFadden: Approve Keystone; faster permits for gas plants.
Mike McFadden: Supports PolyMet mining project in Hoyt Lakes.
Families & Children|
Heather Johnson: Politics is not my passion; it's my God, my kids & family.
Al Franken: OpEd: Campaign website devoid of views on foreign policy.
Mike McFadden: OpEd: Campaign website devoid of views on foreign policy.
Mike McFadden: Inaction abroad sends message that US will do nothing.
Mike McFadden: Crisis in Ukraine came about due to Obama's indecisiveness.
Mike McFadden: Use Chinese steel over U.S. steel if the import was cheaper.
Heather Johnson: Term limits for Congress, local officials, and judges.
Mike McFadden: Effective but limited government, stressing "limited".
Mike McFadden: Expand background checks; close gun show loophole.
Mike McFadden: Open to looking at expanding background checks.
Jim Abeler: Big companies benefit from ObamaCare but not regular people.
Jim Abeler: Preventative care; coordinated treatment; low-income clinics.
Mike McFadden: We need an alternative to ObamaCare, not just repeal.
Al Franken: Let companies reveal how much data NSA has gathered.
Mike McFadden: Secure the borders, then conditional path to citizenship.
Mike McFadden: Secure the borders & then find way to grant citizenship.
Mike McFadden: Status quo is not acceptable; we need to find a solution.
Heather Johnson: Oppose increase in the minimum wage.
Mike McFadden: Gender-based pay equality & minimum wage? "Wrong questions".
Principles & Values|
Jim Abeler: Former investment banker; outsider with no voting record.
Mike McFadden: Discuss raising the eligibility age for social security.
Mike McFadden: Wouldn't vote for tax increases.
War & Peace|
Mike McFadden: Lack of anti-ISIS strategy makes world more dangerous.
Welfare & Poverty|
Heather Johnson: Regulate but advocate for independent charity.
Al Franken: Pay in full for school lunches instead of partly subsidizing.
Mike McFadden: Let states decide school lunch payments, not feds.
The above quotations are from 2014 Minnesota Senate debates.
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)