2014 Iowa Senate Debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 Iowa Senate Debates (number of quotes indicated):
- Bruce Braley (1) Democratic Challenger Iowa
- Joni Ernst (13) Republican Challenger Iowa
- Matthew Whitaker (8) Republican Senate Challenger Iowa
- Sam Clovis (6) Republican Senate Challenger Iowa
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Iowa Senate debates and race coverage:
- Yahoo News, "Joni Ernst's flirtations with the political fringe", by Meredith Shiner, August 13, 2014
- The Hill weblog, "Steyer starts ads in Iowa Senate race," by Timothy Cama, July 30, 2014
- CBS News, "Iowa Democrat's 'chick' ad draws cries of sexism," by Jake Miller, 6/7/2014
- Huffington Post, "Self-Contradictory Take On Gay Marriage", by Mollie Reilly, May 29, 2014
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Candidate Profile: Q&A with Matt Whitaker", by Jacob Hall, May 21, 2014
- AdWatch: "How castrating hogs transformed Iowa's Senate race," Washington Post, May 11, 2014
- AdWatch transcript: "Taking Aim at Obamacare", May 5, 2014
- BleedingHeartland.com, "Iowa Senate approves cannabis oil bill", Apr 25, 2014
- The Gazette , "Few of Ernst's missed Iowa Senate votes due to National Guard Duty", by .A. Morelli, April 14, 2014
- The Daily Caller, "Cruz wades into ugly Iowa Senate fight", by Alexis Levinson, 4/03/2014
- Time magazine, "candidate Says Castration Gives Her Conservative Cred", by Michael Scherer, 3/25/2014
- Washington Post, "RightNOW Women PAC endorses Joni Ernst"Jackie Kucinich, 3/11/2014
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Matt Whitaker: Common Core is Wrong" 3/4/2014
- CaffeinatedThoughts.com, "Sam Clovis: Obama to Solve Winter in February" 2/18/2014
- KMA Land, 99.1 FM on Joni Ernst, 1/2/2014
- Caffeinated Thoughts on Sam Clovis, Nov. 22, 2013
- Kristen Johnson in Siouxland News KTIV coverage of forum at Ida Grove Skate Palace, Nov. 19, 2013
- Charles Crumm in Michigan Daily Tribune, on Republican National Committee email campaign, Nov.5, 2013
- First Republican Senate primary debate: Oct 24, 2013, in Windsor Heights, sponsored by Iowa Faith & Freedom Coalition, at the Walnut Creek Community Church.
- Coverage of Oct. 24 debate by Indianapolis Star, The Iowa Republican and CaffeinatedThoughts blog.
- Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier coverage of joint Republican candidate appearance in Black Hawk County, 9/23/2013
- The Iowa Republican, "Braley's gun control stance to the left of every U.S. Senator", by Jeff Patch, 6/13/2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Matthew Whitaker: Top priority: Grow the economy.
Sam Clovis: Top priority: Balancing the budget.
Joni Ernst: I've castrated hogs so I know how to cut pork.
Joni Ernst: Endorsed by RightNOW Women PAC to escape "war on women".
Matthew Whitaker: My faith requires me to support traditional marriage.
Joni Ernst: Voted to legalize medical cannabis oil.
Matthew Whitaker: Common Core is one-size-fits-all, top-down solution.
Sam Clovis: FactCheck: Common Core originated with governors, not feds.
Sam Clovis: Common Core is federal overreach in spending and control.
Joni Ernst: No federal involvement in Common Core standards.
Matthew Whitaker: Common Core is cram-it-down-your-throat reform.
Energy & Oil|
Sam Clovis: Obama's "Climate Resilience Fund" just redistributes wealth.
Matthew Whitaker: Cap-and-trade proposal stifles the American dream.
Joni Ernst: No more Agenda 21: no United Nations eminent domain.
Matthew Whitaker: No foreign aid to countries that don't like us.
Joni Ernst: AdWatch: I grew up castrating hogs; I know how to cut pork.
Bruce Braley: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Joni Ernst: Voted against Medicaid expansion in Iowa.
Sam Clovis: Keep ObamaCare rule: kids can stay on parent's plan until 26.
Joni Ernst: Military experience always plays role in decision-making.
Joni Ernst: Keep veterans in forefront of all foreign policy decisions.
Joni Ernst: Top priority: Jobs and economy.
Principles & Values|
Joni Ernst: AdWatch: "Let's make 'em squeal" in Washington.
Matthew Whitaker: OpEd: disagrees with entire liberal laundry list.
Joni Ernst: Values we grew up with are being threatened now.
Matthew Whitaker: No hope that Social Security will be there for future.
Joni Ernst: Passed the largest tax cut in Iowa history.
Welfare & Poverty|
Sam Clovis: Don't trading spending cuts for entitlement reform.
The above quotations are from 2014 Iowa Senate Debates.
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)