2014 North Carolina Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 NC Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Kay Hagan (5) Democratic Jr Senator North Carolina
- Sean Haugh (18) Libertarian Senate challenger North Carolina
- Thom Tillis (7) Republican Challenger North Carolina
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
AARP Voter Guide (on Thom Tillis), Aug. 31, 2014
Washington Post, "Hagan seeks to ride backlash against state GOP leaders," by Matea Gold, Aug. 13, 2014
Washington Post, "Meet Sean Haugh, the Libertarian pizza guy", by Karen Tumulty and Reid Wilson, 7/6/2014
TalkingPointsMemo.com, "Traditional voters", by Daniel Strauss, June 17, 2014
AdWatch: OnTheIssues transcript, "victory party for Thom Tillis", hidden camera footage in Democratic TV ad, May 9, 2014
Politico.com, "10 things to know about Thom Tillis", by Jonathan Topaz, May 7, 2014
Washington Post, "47 percenter-ism is back!", by Greg Sargent, May 6, 2014
Politico.com, "Brannon targets Thom Tillis in N.C. debate", by James Hohmann, 4/22/14
AdWatch: "Hagan's First Ad Takes On GOP's Thom Tillis", Wall Street Journal "Washington Wire", 4/17/2014
Carolina Journal, "Libertarian Party Senate hopefuls debate", by Dan Way, Apr. 8th, 2014
WRAL-5 AdWatch: "Tillis reaches back to his paper boy roots", by Mark Binker, March 6, 2014
Charlotte Observer, "Tillis' first campaign draws new scrutiny", by John Frank, March 5, 2014
Wall Street Journal "Washington Wire", 2/4/2014
USA Today AdWatch on Kay Hagan, Jan. 2, 2014
Charlotte Observer AdWatch on Thom Tillis, Jan. 2, 2014
Erik Spanberg in Charlotte Business Journal, "GOP's opponents 'losers'", Dec. 12, 2013
Manu Raju on Politico.com, "N.C.'s Choice", Dec. 12, 2013
Charles Crumm in Michigan Daily Tribune, on Republican National Committee email campaign, Nov.5, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Sean Haugh: No role for government in regulating abortion.
Sean Haugh: No state nor federal government role in abortion.
Budget & Economy|
Sean Haugh: Scrap the Federal Reserve.
Sean Haugh: Government has no say over whom consenting adults love.
Thom Tillis: AdWatch: began working at 15; postponed college until later.
Sean Haugh: End the Drug War.
Sean Haugh: War on drugs is a war on our own people.
Sean Haugh: Scrap the Common Core curriculum standards.
Energy & Oil|
Kay Hagan: Advocate for Keystone XL pipeline.
Sean Haugh: No global policeman; no foreign entanglements.
Sean Haugh: We need to completely change to free trade.
Thom Tillis: Helped engineer voter ID legislation.
Kay Hagan: AdWatch: Hagan promised wrongly that all can keep insurance.
Thom Tillis: AdWatch: ObamaCare is a disaster.
Kay Hagan: I'd vote for ObamaCare again, but do "sensible fixes".
Thom Tillis: AdWatch: TV PAC attack on ObamaCare is a "badge of honor".
Kay Hagan: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Kay Hagan: AdWatch: Voted against consumers keeping pre-ObamaCare plans.
Thom Tillis: Do everything in our power to undo ObamaCare.
Sean Haugh: Repeal the abomination of the Patriot Act.
Sean Haugh: Stop drone warfare.
Sean Haugh: Free movement across borders instead of curbs on immigration.
Sean Haugh: I believe in open borders.
Principles & Values|
Sean Haugh: YouTube-based campaign as Libertarian party nominee.
Sean Haugh: The spoiler argument is bogus on every level.
Thom Tillis: Served on town commission; ousted sitting State House Rep.
Thom Tillis: "Moral Mondays" are for whining losers who oppose GOP agenda.
War & Peace|
Sean Haugh: Opposes US military intervention abroad.
Sean Haugh: Stay out of the Russia-Ukraine imbroglio.
Sean Haugh: Iraq exit plan is to find a door and exit.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Kay Hagan Democratic Jr Senator North Carolina
- Sean Haugh Libertarian Senate challenger North Carolina
- Thom Tillis Republican Challenger North Carolina
The above quotations are from 2014 North Carolina Senate debates.
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)