by Hillary Clinton
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 1 full quotes from Barack Obama in the book Hard Choices, by Hillary Clinton.
Click here for 2 full quotes from Bill Clinton in the book Hard Choices, by Hillary Clinton.
Click here for 31 full quotes from Hillary Clinton in the book Hard Choices, by Hillary Clinton.
Click here for 1 full quotes from Richard Nixon in the book Hard Choices, by Hillary Clinton.
Click here for 1 full quotes from Sarah Palin in the book Hard Choices, by Hillary Clinton.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
OnTheIssues.org BOOK REVIEW:
-- Jesse Gordon, editor-in-chief, OnTheIssues.org, June 2014
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Energy & Oil|
$100B per year by 2020 for climate change mitigation.
Families & Children|
Our generation is blessed by extra years with aging parents.
Smart power: combine civil society & traditional diplomacy.
Does US still have what it takes to lead? Yes!
Distinguish inherited problems from new ones & opportunities.
End the Cuban embargo; that will shift onus to Castros.
Eastern Europe in NATO keeps Putin from moving beyond Crimea.
2009: Chose Japan PM as first visitor to emphasize alliance.
2009: Chose Japan as first destination to emphasize alliance.
Some world leaders are still misogynistic.
2009: Rescue mission to North Korea to free 2 US journalists.
1972 China trip: "The week that changed the world".
China never fits neatly into category like friend or rival.
1998: organized women's peace conference in Northern Ireland.
2009: Northern Ireland shows any adversaries can make good.
Push Russia on press freedom; they've killed 20 journalists.
Idealistic realism: embody hybrid rather than categorizing.
Political restraint against Iran's Ahmadinejad was a mistake.
2011: we abandoned Egypt's Mubarak too readily.
2012: Take a harder line with Russia's Putin.
Dozens of Benghazi attackers had dozens of motives.
Benghazi security was simply inadequate in a dangerous city.
Benghazi talking points were written by CIA for Congress.
Benghazi: focused on rescue & prevention, not retrospection.
Principles & Values|
Life is about making hard choices; so is governing.
Making hard choices, I listened to both my heart and my head.
We survive trauma by people showing kindness.
I have loved & been loved; all the rest is background music.
Resounding response to 2008 nomination: "Who?".
Good Friday Agreement ended the Troubles in Northern Ireland.
War & Peace|
I wanted to arm Syrian rebels, along with regional partners.
I got it wrong on 2002 Iraq War vote.
Putin wants to reassert Russia's dominance in its own areas.
Putin's annexing Crimea plays outdated zero-sum game.
Don't demand complete moratorium on Israeli settlement.
2012: We helped Syrian rebels, but we should have done more.
The above quotations are from Hard Choices
by Hillary Clinton.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
BIASED AGAINST HILLARY:
- Friends in High Places, by Webb Hubbell (1997) - Insider's view of the Clinton governorship and presidency
- The Final Days, by Barbara Olson (2001) - exploration of actions at the end of the Clinton presidency
- The Extreme Makeover of Hillary (Rodham) Clinton, by Bay Buchanan (2007) - a well-written attack book, outlining all of Hillary's trouble spots, by Pat Buchanan's campaign manager.
- Condi vs. Hillary: The Next Great Presidential Race, by Dick Morris (2005) - the predicted race didn't happen, but still a good analysis by Bill Clinton's former adviser.
- Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy, by Amanda Carpenter (2006) - every possible "Swift-boating" is here.
- Partners in Power, by Roger Morris (1999) - anti-Hillary, anti-Bill, and anti-Democrat.
- Madame Hillary, by R. Emmett Tyrell (2004) - anti-Hillary from a moderate perspective.
- What Every American Should Know, by the American Conservative Union (2000) - anti-Hillary during her Senate run.