2014 Nebraska Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 NE Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Ben Sasse (10) Republican Challenger
- Dave Domina (2) Democratic Senate Challenger Nebraska
- Shane Osborn (11) Republican Senate Challenger Nebraska
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Nebraska Senate debates and race coverage: (May 13th primary)
- WatchDog.org, "Sasse, Domina face off over ObamaCare, Keystone XL," by Deena Winter, June 2, 2014
- Omaha World-Herald, "Face off on gay marriage, federal health care law," by Roseann Moring, June 2, 2014
- Lincoln Journal Star, "Domina says voters will have a choice in Senate race," by Don Walton, May 20, 2014
- Columbus Telegram, "Domina fires first shots," by Tyler Ellyson, May 20, 2014
- N.Y.Times, "Sasse and Cotton Share High-Flying Pedigrees", by Jonathan Weisman, May 16, 2014
- ABC News, "Modest Tea Party Victory", by Charles Babington, May 14, 2014
- AdWatch: Rollcall e-zine, "Sasse Launches Closing Argument TV Ad", by Alexis Levinson, May 9, 2014
- AdWatch: OnTheIssues transcript of Citizens United Political Victory Fund ad favoring Ben Sasse, May 6, 2014
- AdWatch: The Hill e-zine, "Nebraska Senate GOP primary ad war heats up", by Alexandra Jaffe, May 6, 2014
- AdWatch: "Osborn targets Sasse's comments on ObamaCare", May 6, 2014
- AdWatch by The Hill e-zine, "Osborn used 'broad brush' to describe state Treasurer duties", by Alexandra Jaffe, May 5, 2014
- Political Wire e-zine, "ObamaCare is touch point in Nebraska Senate race", by Alexandra Jaffe, April 28, 2014
- AdWatch: Osborn Press Release, "Osborn Campaign releases first ad", March 17, 2014
- Nebraska Radio Network, "Osborn: curb Russian agression", by Brent Martin, 3/7/2014
- KTIV News 4 Siouxland, "Osborn calls for more fiscal restraint", Feb 15, 2014
- Omaha World-Herald coverage of Gering debate, by Robynn Tysver, 1/29/2014
- KHAS TV-5, "Condemn plan to cut military forces", by Lauren Conley, March 10, 2014
- Nebraska Watchdog.org, "Democrat enters Nebraska U.S. Senate race", by Deena Winter, January 21, 2014
- Sioux City Journal AdWatch on Ben Sasse, Jan. 4, 2014
- Sydney Yalshevec in The Western Nebraska Observer, "Limited Government", Dec. 5, 2013
- Jan Schultz in Imperial Republican, "Town hall meeting", Nov. 20, 2013
- Don Walton reporting in Lincoln Journal Star, 11/15/2013 and 12/12/2013
- Rollcall.com, "Shane Osborn on Steak, Football and Being 'Beautiful'", by Kyle Trygstad, July 18, 2013
- Lincoln Journal Star coverage, July 10, 2013
- Mark Hemingway coverage in The Weekly Standard, June 17th 2013
- Deena Winter coverage in Nebraska Watchdog, June 14, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Dave Domina: Women should search their soul before deciding on abortion.
Budget & Economy|
Shane Osborn: Nation can grow out of fiscal woes by expanding the economy.
Shane Osborn: Combat spending instead of kicking the can down the road.
Ben Sasse: At Midland U., fixed broken system of higher ed.
Energy & Oil|
Ben Sasse: Shale oil revolution could create energy independence.
Shane Osborn: Economic sanctions against Russia to stem Ukrainian crisis.
Shane Osborn: Cut 60 redundant federal agencies and save $60B.
Ben Sasse: AdWatch: Campaign film "The Outsider", after years in DC.
Ben Sasse: Permanent bureaucracy should not write big legislation.
Ben Sasse: Optimistic about America but pessimistic about Washington.
Dave Domina: Right to enjoy weapons should have restrictions.
Ben Sasse: Self-described as pro-guns and pro-life.
Shane Osborn: AdWatch: Never waver to repeal ObamaCare & protect freedom.
Ben Sasse: Job change causes uninsurance; so make insurance portable.
Shane Osborn: Propose better options, then repeal ObamaCare.
Shane Osborn: Reducing size of military makes us look weak.
Shane Osborn: Hawkish on defense, but measured response.
Shane Osborn: Begin with strict border control but don't allow citizenship.
Principles & Values|
Ben Sasse: Endorsed by Freedom Works' founder & other Tea Party groups.
Shane Osborn: Endorsed by Tea Party-oriented group, Freedom Works.
Ben Sasse: Entitlement reform needed: guilty of generational theft.
War & Peace|
Shane Osborn: We let Syria & Iran cross the red line.
Welfare & Poverty|
Ben Sasse: Replace entitlements with an opportunity society.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Ben Sasse Republican Challenger
- Dave Domina Democratic Senate Challenger Nebraska
- Shane Osborn Republican Senate Challenger Nebraska
The above quotations are from 2014 Nebraska Senate debates.
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)