2014 Kentucky Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 KY Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Alison Grimes (6) Democratic Challenger Kentucky
- Jack Reed (1) Democratic Sr Senator Rhode Island
- Matt Bevin (3) Republican Challenger Kentucky
- Mitch McConnell (9) Republican Sr Senator Kentucky
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Kentucky Senate debates:
- AdWatch: The Hill e-zine, "McConnell touts job creation in new ad", by Alexandra Jaffe, May 6, 2014
- Wall Street Journal, "Bevin: I Don't Support Cockfighting", April 25, 2014
- AdWatch by The Hill e-zine, "McConnell hits Bevin on cockfighting in new ad", by Alexandra Jaffe, April 23, 2014
- AdWatch by The Hill e-zine, "McConnell primary challenger features family in new ad", by Alexandra Jaffe, April 23, 2014
- The Hill e-zine, "Bevin tries to put MIT flap behind him", by Alexander Bolton, 4/17/14
- The Hill, "Bevin hits McConnell for debt-limit increase", by Alexandra Jaffe, March 31, 2014
- Politico.com, "McConnell's foreign policy evolution", by David Rogers, 3/26/14
- Lexington Herald-Leader AdWatch:, "Group to launch $1.8 million ad campaign", by Sam Youngman, March 17, 2014
- Slate.com, "Six Interviews in Five Yards", by David Weigel, March 7 2014
- The Hill, "Bevin suggests gay marriage could lead to child-parent marriage", by Alexandra Jaffe, Feb. 20, 2014
- Lexington Herald Leader coverage of Alison Lundergan Grimes, 1/7/2014
- Iowa Farmer Today, "Farm Bill", December 12, 2013
- Joseph Gerth in The Courier-Journal, "Budget Compromise", December 11, 2013
- Huffington Post AdWatch: Chamber of Commerce "War on Coal", 12/5/2013
- AdWatch on Press release: Grimes on NRA, November 8, 2013
- CBS "Face the Nation" interview of Mitch McConnell, Oct. 20, 2013
- Lexington Herald Leader reporting, October 17, 2013
- Rollcall.com, "Graham Challenger Dismisses Financial Disadvantage", by Kyle Trygstad, Sept. 23, 2013
- Rollcall.com, "McConnell Primary Challenger Vows 'Expensive Race'", by Kyle Trygstad, Sept. 10, 2013
- Meet the Press 2013 interview of Mitch McConnell, July 14, 2013
- CNN "State of the Union" interview of Sen. McConnell, March 3, 2013
- ABC "This Week" interview of Mitch McConnell, Jan. 6, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Alison Grimes: Pro-choice down the line.
Budget & Economy|
Matt Bevin: No budget deal; let the sequester cuts take place.
Mitch McConnell: Proud of role in high-profile deal to end federal shutdown.
Mitch McConnell: Supports sequester cuts: 2.4% out of $3.6 trillion budget.
Jack Reed: Address the sequester & debt ceiling without any new taxes.
Matt Bevin: Why not define marriage as a parent marrying their child?
Energy & Oil|
Mitch McConnell: AdWatch: Fights EPA regulation on coal production.
Matt Bevin: No unilateral action in Eastern Europe.
Mitch McConnell: Federal shutdown was just a 2-week paid vacation: bad policy.
Mitch McConnell: ObamaCare is a train wreck; do what we can to repeal it.
Alison Grimes: Delay mandated coverage, but keep ObamaCare.
Mitch McConnell: AdWatch: Brought in new VA hospital; & higher pay for troops.
Alison Grimes: Supports bipartisan comprehensive immigration reform.
Mitch McConnell: Border security first: the key to getting a final outcome.
Principles & Values|
Alison Grimes: AdWatch: Grimes' opponent offered deal to drop out.
Alison Grimes: Fight "Senator Gridlock": Kentucky pays for GOP dysfunction.
Mitch McConnell: Comprehensive tax reform can work if it's revenue-neutral.
Welfare & Poverty|
Alison Grimes: Shameful to oppose food stamp program during recession.
Mitch McConnell: Opposed Farm Bill due to too-generous food stamp program.
The above quotations are from 2014 Kentucky Senate debates.
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)