2014 Hawaii Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 HI Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Brian Schatz (9) Democratic Jr Senator Appointee Hawaii
- Cam Cavasso (13) Republican Challenger Hawaii
- Colleen Hanabusa (6) Democratic Challenger Hawaii
- Eddie Pirkowski (11) Republican Senate Challenger Hawaii
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Hawaii Senate debates and race coverage: (August primary)
- The Hill weblog, "Greens' ad backs Schatz in Hawaii," by Timothy Cama, July 25, 2014
- The Republic (Columbus, IN), "Schatz, Hanabusa size up records in Congress," by Oskar Garcia (AP), July 8, 2014
- Honolulu Star Advertiser, "Hanabusa is the aggressor in debate with Schatz," by Derrick DePledge, July 8, 2014
- Congressional Quarterly Roll Call magazine, "If At First You Don't Succeed", March 20, 2014, electoral history of Colleen Hanabusa
- AdWatch: The Hill magazine: "Dean group gives Schatz first Senate endorsement of 2014", by Cameron Joseph, Feb. 18, 2014, 05:30 am
- Washington Post on Colleen Hanabusa, Jan. 1, 2014
- AdWatch: Press Release in Hawaii Reporter, "Food Policy", 12/11/2013
- Panos Prevedouros AdWatch in Hawaii Reporter, "Wind Energy", 11/25/2013
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Brian Schatz's Senate speech, July 24th, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Cam Cavasso: Human life begins at conception.
Eddie Pirkowski: Human life begins at conception.
Budget & Economy|
Cam Cavasso: Balance the budget; don't pass it on to children.
Eddie Pirkowski: Free enterprise is the key to national prosperity.
Cam Cavasso: Government spending sucks oxygen out of the economy.
Cam Cavasso: Government shouldn't redefine marriage.
Eddie Pirkowski: Government shouldn't redefine marriage.
Brian Schatz: Hawaii not ready for legal pot; needs national conversation.
Colleen Hanabusa: States should determine marijuana legality.
Cam Cavasso: Oppose nationwide Common Core standards.
Eddie Pirkowski: Oppose nationwide Common Core standards.
Energy & Oil|
Cam Cavasso: No subsidies for wind and solar.
Eddie Pirkowski: No subsidies for wind and solar.
Brian Schatz: OpEd: Schatz promotes wind turbines requiring huge subsidies.
Brian Schatz: FactCheck: Yes, 97% of Greenland ice surface melted in 2012.
Brian Schatz: Received perfect score from League of Conservation Voters.
Brian Schatz: Genetically modified foods aren't unhealthy.
Colleen Hanabusa: Genetically modified foods aren't unhealthy.
Colleen Hanabusa: Supports 1920 Jones Act: only US ships HI to West Coast.
Cam Cavasso: Photo ID for voting.
Eddie Pirkowski: No photo ID for voting.
Cam Cavasso: Opposes more gun restrictions.
Eddie Pirkowski: Opposes more gun restrictions.
Cam Cavasso: Never diminish a citizen's right to protect themselves.
Cam Cavasso: Repeal ObamaCare; it's not a government responsibility.
Eddie Pirkowski: Repeal ObamaCare; it's not a government responsibility.
Cam Cavasso: Maintain military: peace through strength.
Brian Schatz: Feds stretched too far in snooping on everyday Americans.
Brian Schatz: Reform FISA to protect our Fourth Amendment rights.
Colleen Hanabusa: NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden should stand trial in US.
Eddie Pirkowski: Maintain a superior nuclear arsenal.
Cam Cavasso: Protect the borders; prevent illegal entry.
Eddie Pirkowski: Protect the borders; prevent illegal entry.
Principles & Values|
Cam Cavasso: Judeo-Christian values established our government framework.
Eddie Pirkowski: Judeo-Christian values established our government framework.
Colleen Hanabusa: Lost campaigns in 2003 & 2006 before winning in 2010.
Brian Schatz: Endorsed by progressive group "Democracy for America".
Colleen Hanabusa: OpEd: Too old to build seniority to steer pork to Hawaii.
Welfare & Poverty|
Brian Schatz: 100% score on the National Food Policy Scorecard.
The above quotations are from 2014 Hawaii Senate debates.
- Outsider in the House, by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I, VT)
- The Little Plaid Book, by Sen. Lamar Alexander (R, TN)
- Cowboy in Caracas, by Senate nominee Charlie Hardy (D, WY)
- The New Black Politician: Cory Booker, Newark, and Post-Racial America (D, NJ)
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- A Tribute to 101 Incredible Women, by Senate candidate Joyce Dickerson (D, SC)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)