2014 Hawaii Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 HI Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Brian Schatz (4) Democratic Jr Senator Appointee Hawaii
- Cam Cavasso (2) Republican Challenger Hawaii
- Colleen Hanabusa (3) Democratic Challenger Hawaii
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Hawaii Senate debates and race coverage: (August primary)
- Congressional Quarterly Roll Call magazine, "If At First You Don't Succeed", March 20, 2014, electoral history of Colleen Hanabusa
- AdWatch: The Hill magazine: "Dean group gives Schatz first Senate endorsement of 2014", by Cameron Joseph, Feb. 18, 2014, 05:30 am
- Washington Post on Colleen Hanabusa, Jan. 1, 2014
- AdWatch: Press Release in Hawaii Reporter, "Food Policy", 12/11/2013
- Panos Prevedouros AdWatch in Hawaii Reporter, "Wind Energy", 11/25/2013
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Brian Schatz's Senate speech, July 24th, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Cam Cavasso: Government spending sucks oxygen out of the economy.
Energy & Oil|
Brian Schatz: OpEd: Schatz promotes wind turbines requiring huge subsidies.
Brian Schatz: FactCheck: Yes, 97% of Greenland ice surface melted in 2012.
Colleen Hanabusa: Supports 1920 Jones Act: only US ships HI to West Coast.
Cam Cavasso: Never diminish a citizen's right to protect themselves.
Principles & Values|
Colleen Hanabusa: Lost campaigns in 2003 & 2006 before winning in 2010.
Brian Schatz: Endorsed by progressive group "Democracy for America".
Colleen Hanabusa: OpEd: Too old to build seniority to steer pork to Hawaii.
Welfare & Poverty|
Brian Schatz: 100% score on the National Food Policy Scorecard.
The above quotations are from 2014 Hawaii Senate debates.
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)