2014 Alaska Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 AK Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Dan Sullivan (8) Republican challenger Alaska
- Joe Miller (2) Challenger and previous Republican Nominee Alaska
- Mark Begich (8) Democratic Jr Senator Alaska
- Mead Treadwell (10) Republican Challenger Alaska
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Alaska Senate debates and race coverage:
- Salon.com interview of Joe Miller, "Why We Should Keep Discrimination Legal", by Josh Eidelson, March 10, 2014
- Alaska Dispatch, "Alaska candidates for U.S. Senate seat largely a flock of millionaires", by Alex DeMarban, February 25, 2014
- The Weekly Standard and Associated Press AdWatch: "Dan Sullivan: first radio ad", Feb. 14, 2014
- Alex DeMarban in Alaska Dispatch, "Sullivan, Treadwell face off at Anchorage Chamber meeting", January 27, 2014
- Laine Welch in Alaska Journal of Commerce, "Fish Factor" article on Mead Treadwell, 1/24/2014
- Anchorage Daily News AdWatch: Republican National Committee ads, 1/7/2014
- Politico.com AdWatch on Mark Begich, Jan. 2, 2014
- Mead Treadwell OpEd in Alaska Dispatch, "Newtown", December 13, 2013
- Liz Ruskin on KTOO: AdWatch, "Big Outside Money", December 12, 2013
- Daily News-Miner, "Some mayo smeared in Senate GOP race", 11/10/2013
- Charles Crumm in Michigan Daily Tribune, on Republican National Committee email campaign, Nov.5, 2013
- Campaign e-mail from Sen. Begich, Sept. 7, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Mark Begich: No new regulations on women's access to medical care.
Budget & Economy|
Mead Treadwell: $800 billion stimulus spends on backs of future generations.
Mead Treadwell: Opposes federal overreach; supports more economic freedom.
Energy & Oil|
Mead Treadwell: Supports CO2 sequestration technology and hydrogen vehicles.
Mark Begich: Drill in the Arctic Ocean; drill in National Forests.
Dan Sullivan: Stop EPA from pre-judging Pebble Mine.
Mark Begich: No metal mining at Pebble Mine; it damages salmon fishery.
Mark Begich: Allow gravel road through federal refuge to isolated village.
Mead Treadwell: Fight EPA's Pebble Mine restrictions.
Mead Treadwell: Good science should drive all fisheries decisions.
Dan Sullivan: Served as assistant secretary of state under Condi Rice.
Mark Begich: Active trader on the stock market, despite proposed ban.
Mead Treadwell: Address school shootings with national mental health push.
Dan Sullivan: AdWatch: Washington is broken; including ObamaCare.
Mark Begich: AdWatch: Promised we could keep our plans under ObamaCare.
Mark Begich: AdWatch: Begich supports ObamaCare for Alaskans.
Mark Begich: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Joe Miller: Embrace threat of federal shutdown to defund ObamaCare.
Mead Treadwell: Repeal ObamaCare by winning back Senate.
Mead Treadwell: Work to bring missile defense base to Alaska.
Principles & Values|
Dan Sullivan: Personal wealth between $1.6M and $3.8M, in family business.
Joe Miller: Only main contender for AK Senate who isn't a millionaire.
Dan Sullivan: AdWatch: I love my state; I hate politicians.
Dan Sullivan: Website and campaign refuse to spell out issue positions.
Dan Sullivan: Involved in Alaska state politics since 1990.
Mead Treadwell: Involved in Alaska state politics since 1978.
Mead Treadwell: Made millions from high-tech camera on Google Street View.
War & Peace|
Dan Sullivan: At State Department, I pursued global terrorist regimes.
The above quotations are from 2014 Alaska Senate debates.
- 100 Ideas, by Senator Marco Rubio (R,FL)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)