2014 Maine Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 ME Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Shenna Bellows (12) Democratic Challenger
- Susan Collins (6) Republican Sr Senator Maine
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Maine Senate debates:
- Time magazine, "Marijuana and NSA Wedge Issues", by Alex Rogers, March 4, 2014
- U.S.News & World Report, "National Security Drives Maine Race", by David Catanese, Feb. 27, 2014
- Portland Press Herald, "Indiscriminate NSA spying", 1/4/2014
- Hillary Savage in Machias Valley News Observer, "Bellows Visits", Dec. 4, 2013
- Deirdre Fultin in The Portland Phoenix, "Takes shape", Dec. 12, 2013
- Salon.com on 2014 Maine Senate race, "Edward Snowden" Oct 30, 2013
- CNN "State of the Union" interview of Sen. Susan Collins, May 12 and Oct. 13, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Shenna Bellows: Supports marijuana legalization.
Energy & Oil|
Shenna Bellows: Green energy solutions instead of nuclear energy.
Shenna Bellows: Funding her campaign $5 at a time from local events.
Susan Collins: Outrageous for IRS to target Tea Party groups.
Shenna Bellows: Was NRA member, but left because they became too extreme.
Shenna Bellows: NSA should target only based on individualized suspicion.
Susan Collins: Increase transparency of NSA but keep NSA programs.
Susan Collins: Mass surveillance justified by national security.
Susan Collins: Mass unwarranted surveillance is never justified.
Shenna Bellows: We cannot afford to be the world's policemen.
Shenna Bellows: No spying on foreign leaders NOR on ordinary Americans.
Shenna Bellows: Snowden was a whistle-blower, not a criminal.
Susan Collins: No justification for spying on Germany's chancellor.
Susan Collins: Cuts in defense are very troubling to me personally.
Shenna Bellows: Increase minimum wage to make it a living wage.
Principles & Values|
Shenna Bellows: Calls herself a progressive libertarian.
Shenna Bellows: "Total Information Awareness" undermines our democracy.
Welfare & Poverty|
Shenna Bellows: No one in Washington stands up for people who are hurting.
The above quotations are from 2014 Maine Senate debates.
- 100 Ideas, by Senator Marco Rubio (R,FL)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)