2014 Georgia Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 GA Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Amanda Swafford (20) Libertarian Challenger Georgia
- David Perdue (20) Republican challenger Georgia
- Jack Kingston (2) Republican Challenger Georgia
- Karen Handel (7) Republican Challenger Georgia
- Michelle Nunn (16) Democratic Challenger Georgia
- Paul Broun (15) Republican Challenger Georgia
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Georgia Senate debates and race coverage: (May 20 Republican primary)
- The Hill PacWatch, "Dems have new hope in Georgia", by Cameron Joseph, October 9, 2014
- ABC News, "Georgia Senate Debate: Rowdy Crowd and a Third-Party Spoiler?", by Chris Good, 10/7/2014
- NBC-11-Alive, "Governor, Senate candidates debate at GA National Fair", 10/7/2014
- Nunn campaign email, "Dignity in Hard Work", 9/1/2014
- AARP Voter Guide (on Michelle Nunn and David Perdue), Aug. 31, 2014
- DailyKos.com, "Ad Hitting David Perdue On Equal Pay", Aug. 22, 2014
- The Hill webzine, "Nunn bought land with lobbyists in Georgia", by Cameron Joseph, August 14, 2014
- The Hill weblog, "Ga. Dem goes on attack in Senate race," by Cameron Joseph, Aug. 12, 2014
- Morris News Service, "Senate candidates disagree on overseas corporate profits", by Walter Jones, August 8, 2014
- Augusta Chronicle, "Democratic Senate hopefuls pledge to keep MOX open", by Meg Kinnard (Associated Press), May 29, 2014
- The Hill e-zine, "Ga. Dem dodges on ObamaCare views", by Cameron Joseph, May 19, 2014
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "Senate candidates won't back Mitch McConnell", by Daniel Malloy, May 17, 2014
- ThinkProgress.org e-zine, "Frontrunner Touches Republicans' Third Rail, Suggests Raising Taxes", by Aviva Shen, May 14, 2014
- The Hill e-zine, "GOPers spar in Georgia primary debate", April 19, 2014
- AdWatch: OnTheIssues transcript of Phil Gingrey TV ad, calling his GOP rivals "the moderates", May 15, 2015
- Rollcall e-zine, "Nunn Hits Bipartisan Tone in Stump Speech", by Kyle Trygstad, April 17, 2014
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution and OnTheIssues AdWatch, "Michelle Nunn up today with first TV ad", by Daniel Malloy, 4/3/2014
- The Hill AdWatch, "Nunn faces first attack ad in Georgia", by Cameron Joseph, 4/1/2014
- MSNBC, "GOP threatens to push self-destruct button," by Benjy Sarlin, 3/26/14
- Congressional Quarterly Roll Call magazine, "If At First You Don't Succeed", March 20, 2014, electoral history of Paul Broun
- The Huffington Post, "Candidate Who Wants To Repeal Obamacare Once Backed Federal Solution", by Andrew Perez, 3/10/2014
- Time Magazine interview of Michelle Nunn, by Jay Newton-Small, March 6, 2014
- The Hill magazine, "Anti-abortion group endorses Handel", by Cameron Joseph, March 4, 2014
- Marietta Daily Journal, "Perdue weighs in", by Jon Gillooly, February 16, 2014
- PolitiFact.com fact-checking on Karen Handel, Jan. 2, 2014
- AdWatch: Jim Galloway in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Kelly Spratt endorsement, 12/5/2013
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Karen Handel's website, August 7th, 2013
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Karen Handel's book, Planned Bullyhood, September 11th, 2012
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Paul Broun's Twitter feed, Feb. 13th, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Amanda Swafford: Human life doesn't begin at conception.
David Perdue: Human life begins at conception.
Paul Broun: Human life begins at conception.
Karen Handel: Endorsed by Susan B. Anthony List for pro-life women.
Michelle Nunn: Safe, legal, rare, and woman's personal decision.
Budget & Economy|
Amanda Swafford: End the Federal Reserve; explore alternative currency.
Amanda Swafford: TARP manipulates the free enterprise system.
David Perdue: Free enterprise is the key to national prosperity.
Paul Broun: Free enterprise is the key to national prosperity.
Michelle Nunn: Sequestration is absolute wrong way of making cuts.
Amanda Swafford: Marriage equality is an individual freedom.
Amanda Swafford: Government has authority redefine marriage.
David Perdue: Government shouldn't redefine marriage.
David Perdue: AdWatch: Perdue's company sued for gender pay discrimination.
Michelle Nunn: Support equal pay, and do it now.
Paul Broun: Government shouldn't redefine marriage.
David Perdue: Uphold Georgia's constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
Amanda Swafford: FairTax avoids taxation of overseas corporate profit.
Amanda Swafford: Replace War on Drugs with individual freedom.
David Perdue: Receptive to medical marijuana, but leave it to states.
Amanda Swafford: Dismantle the Department of Education.
Paul Broun: Oppose nationwide Common Core standards.
Paul Broun: Big Bang & evolution: "lies straight from the pit of hell".
Energy & Oil|
Amanda Swafford: No subsidies for wind and solar.
David Perdue: No subsidies for wind and solar.
Paul Broun: No subsidies for wind and solar.
Michelle Nunn: Move forward on Keystone pipeline.
Michelle Nunn: Preserved 85 acre marshland with conservation easements.
Michelle Nunn: Our military is but one element of our national power.
Karen Handel: FactCheck: Only $2.2M on USAID pottery in Morocco, not $27M.
Amanda Swafford: We need more transparency regarding trade agreements.
Michelle Nunn: Moving jobs to China & Mexico helps profits but not people.
David Perdue: My company exported American-made products into Asia.
Amanda Swafford: Photo ID for voting.
David Perdue: Absolute power corrupts; support check and balance system.
David Perdue: Photo ID for voting.
Michelle Nunn: Amendment to overturn the Citizens United decision.
Paul Broun: Photo ID for voting.
Michelle Nunn: AdWatch: Michelle helps organizations make changes.
Michelle Nunn: If Congress doesn't pass a budget they don't get paid.
Michelle Nunn: Bar members of Congress from becoming lobbyists.
Amanda Swafford: Sacrificing liberty for safety has never worked.
Amanda Swafford: Opposes more gun restrictions.
David Perdue: Opposes more gun restrictions.
Paul Broun: Opposes more gun restrictions.
Paul Broun: FactCheck: Guns cause more deaths than bats & hammers.
Amanda Swafford: Dramatically strengthen Health Savings Accounts.
Amanda Swafford: Repeal ObamaCare; it's not a government responsibility.
David Perdue: Repeal ObamaCare; it's not a government responsibility.
Paul Broun: Repeal ObamaCare; it's not a government responsibility.
Michelle Nunn: ObamaCare would have been better if bipartisan.
David Perdue: Responsible thing to do: fix ObamaCare; don't repeal it.
Karen Handel: ObamaCare overreaches, but feds should address healthcare.
Karen Handel: ObamaCare canceled my wife's policy & doubled premiums.
Michelle Nunn: Add a tier of affordable coverage to ObamaCare.
Karen Handel: Embrace threat of federal shutdown to defund ObamaCare.
Amanda Swafford: Superior nuclear arsenal is not necessary.
David Perdue: Maintain a superior nuclear arsenal.
Paul Broun: Maintain a superior nuclear arsenal.
Amanda Swafford: No caps on number of visas allowed.
Amanda Swafford: Protect the borders; prevent illegal entry.
David Perdue: Protect the borders; prevent illegal entry.
Paul Broun: Protect the borders; prevent illegal entry.
Karen Handel: Immigration bill is 1,000 pages of industry rewards.
Principles & Values|
Amanda Swafford: Judeo-Christian values aren't threatened by Shariah.
David Perdue: Judeo-Christian values established our government framework.
Paul Broun: Biblical morality is spiritual foundation of our nation.
David Perdue: Change diapers & politicians frequently: not a D.C. insider.
Jack Kingston: Broaden appeal of GOP by engaging liberal media.
Michelle Nunn: Daughter of Sen. Sam Nunn: legacy of bipartisanship.
David Perdue: CEO of Dollar General & Reebok; cousin of Gov. Sonny Perdue.
Paul Broun: Lost campaigns in 1990, 1992 & 1996 before winning in 2006.
Paul Broun: Separation of church and state is a mistaken idea.
Jack Kingston: Endorsed by McIntosh County Commissioner over Handel.
Karen Handel: Endorsed by McIntosh County Commissioner before Kingston.
David Perdue: Reduce $86T retirement deal for federal employees.
Michelle Nunn: Bipartisan entitlement reform to preserve Social Security.
Amanda Swafford: Politicians use tax code to for social engineering.
David Perdue: Cut spending AND increase revenue.
Michelle Nunn: Reverse the downward trends in basic R&D funding.
The above quotations are from 2014 Georgia Senate debates.
- The New Black Politician: Cory Booker, Newark, and Post-Racial America (D, NJ)
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- A Tribute to 101 Incredible Women, by Senate candidate Joyce Dickerson (D, SC)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)