2014 Texas Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 TX Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- David Alameel (14) Democratic Senate Challenger Texas
- Emily Sanchez (4) Green Party Senate challenger Texas
- John Cornyn (6) Republican Sr Senator Texas
- Jon Cornyn (1)
- Steve Stockman (13) Republican challenger (Lost primary) Texas
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Texas Senate debates and race coverage: (Primary March 4)
- AARP Voter Guide (on David Alameel), Aug. 31, 2014
- San Antonio Express-News , "Green Party hoping influence grows in Texas", by John W. Gonzalez, June 22, 2014
- Washington Post, "Democratic Senate candidate who wants to impeach Obama", by Nia-Malika Henderson, May 27, 2014
- The Texas Tribune, "Alameel and Rogers, a Study in Contrasts, Make Their Case", by Ben Philpott, May 8, 2014
- Houston Chronicle, "U.S. Senate race puts Texas Democrats in a bind", by Kevin Diaz, May 4, 2014
- Congressional Quarterly Roll Call magazine, "If At First You Don't Succeed", March 20, 2014, history of Steve Stockman
- Dallas News, "Stockman admitted 1995 jail time", by Todd J. Gillman, January 31, 2014
- Business Insider on Steve Stockman, Jan. 4, 2014
- Washington Post on Steve Stockman, Jan. 1, 2014
- Jordan Fabian on fusion.net, "Tea Party: Biggest Troll", 12/10/2013
- Irin Carmon and Nisha Chittal on MSNBC, AdWatch on Stockman's Tweets, 12/10/13
- Dave McNeely reporting in Huntsville Item, Nov. 15, 2013
- CBS "Face the Nation" interview of John Cornyn, Oct. 6, 2013
- Fox News Sunday interview of Sen. Cornyn, April 14, 2013
- The Weed Blog, "Marijuana Legalization Advocates", by Jay Smoker, July 20, 2011
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
David Alameel: Always fight to protect Roe v. Wade.
John Cornyn: Endorsed by Texas Right to Life.
Steve Stockman: AdWatch: If babies had guns, they wouldn't be aborted.
Budget & Economy|
John Cornyn: We've had 17 federal shutdowns since 1976; Obama is AWOL.
David Alameel: Demand equal pay for equal work between men and women.
David Alameel: Supports same-sex marriage.
Emily Sanchez: The Occupy Movement woke me up and gave me hope.
David Alameel: Big corporations & executives should pay fair share in taxes.
Steve Stockman: Admits being jailed in 1970s, but suing group for saying so.
John Cornyn: Legal pot causes similar attitudes to other illegal drugs.
Steve Stockman: AdWatch: Arrested for drug possession in 1977.
David Alameel: Quality education for ALL children, not just privileged few.
Energy & Oil|
Emily Sanchez: Fracking is running rampant & endangers our air & water.
Emily Sanchez: The Earth sustains all life processes.
John Cornyn: Create anti-Tea Party PACs to counter Super PACs.
Steve Stockman: The best gun lubricant around is Liberal Tears.
Steve Stockman: 1993: Opposed federal raid on the Branch Davidian compound.
Steve Stockman: AR-15 giveaway: the perfect Mother's Day gift.
Steve Stockman: Consider impeachment for Obama's unilateral gun controls.
Jon Cornyn: Focus on mental illness, not on background checks.
Steve Stockman: Supported Sen. Ted Cruz's fight to stop ObamaCare.
Steve Stockman: Challenge incumbent because he supported ObamaCare.
John Cornyn: End Congress' carve-out exemption from ObamaCare penalties.
David Alameel: Supports the DREAM Act and comprehensive immigration reform.
Steve Stockman: Opposes comprehensive immigration bill, and no negotiation.
David Alameel: Raise minimum wage so families can work with dignity.
David Alameel: End tax breaks for sending jobs overseas.
Principles & Values|
Emily Sanchez: Spicybrown for Senate: Top of Green Party ticket.
David Alameel: Defeated LaRouche Democrat in primary.
Steve Stockman: Lost campaigns in 1990 and 1992 before winning in 1994.
David Alameel: Vows to NEVER cut or privatize Social Security and Medicare.
David Alameel: Vows to NEVER cut Social Security and Medicare.
Steve Stockman: Accepts Bitcoin donations as an alternative to fiat currency.
War & Peace|
David Alameel: time for us to bring the troops & funding home.
John Cornyn: No ransom to North Korea on nukes; we've tried that before.
Welfare & Poverty|
David Alameel: I don't see upward mobility for the middle class.
David Alameel: I started out very very poor, and I don't forget it.
Steve Stockman: 1990s: Homeless in Fort Worth's Water Gardens park.
The above quotations are from 2014 Texas Senate debates.
- The New Black Politician: Cory Booker, Newark, and Post-Racial America (D, NJ)
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- A Tribute to 101 Incredible Women, by Senate candidate Joyce Dickerson (D, SC)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)