2014 Massachusetts Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 MA Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Brian Herr (10) Republican Senate Challenger Massachusetts
- Bruce Skarin (5) Independent Challenger Massachusetts
- Ed Markey (1) Democratic Challenger Massachusetts
- Gabriel Gomez (2) Republican Challenger Massachusetts
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Massachusetts Senate debates:
- State House News Service, "Herr vows positive tack", by Andy Metzger, June 3 and 11, 2014
- Independent Voter Project IVN.us interview of Bruce Skarin, "Journey of 1000 miles", 5/22/2014
- Hopkinton Daily News, "Hopkinton selectmen support underride proposal", by Jonathan Phelps, Mar. 19, 2014
- Worcester Telegram, coverage of Bruce Skarin by Shaun Sutner, Feb. 14, 2014
- Hopkinton Crier, "Herr calls for term limits for Congress", Feb. 6, 2014
- Springfield Republican on MassLive.com, "Brian Herr to challenge U.S. Sen. Ed Markey", by Shira Schoenberg, January 30, 2014
- Robert Rizzuto in The Republican, "Raise Up Massachusetts petition", November 18, 2013
- Fox News Sunday interview of Gabriel Gomez, 6/23/2013
- Worcester Telegram & Gazette, and MetroWest Daily News, coverage of Brian Herr's 2010 race
- The Massachusetts 2014 Senate election will seat a permanent replacement for the 2013 Special election, in which Ed Markey was elected.
- The 2013 Special Election was required because Former Massachusetts Senator John Kerry was appointed as Secretary of State.
- See also OnTheIssues coverage of the 2013 Massachusetts special Senate election debates.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Brian Herr: Supports abortion rights.
Budget & Economy|
Bruce Skarin: Top priority: national debt; fiscal conservative.
Bruce Skarin: I am not just a supporter, but an advocate for gay rights.
Brian Herr: Supports gay marriage as an issue of equal rights.
Brian Herr: 29 years in the commercial construction business.
Energy & Oil|
Bruce Skarin: Top priority: combatting global climate change.
Gabriel Gomez: I believe that there is global warming.
Bruce Skarin: Campaign finance reform to end pervasive corruption.
Brian Herr: Reduce non-military federal workforce by 15% via attrition.
Brian Herr: If we want new ideas, send new people, via term limits.
Brian Herr: If we want new ideas in Washington, we must send new people.
Brian Herr: People have a right to defend themselves and their property.
Gabriel Gomez: Start with expanded background check tied to mental health.
Brian Herr: Create a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.
Brian Herr: Member of the Repeal The Casino Deal Leadership Team.
Ed Markey: Lead petitioner on ballot question mandating sick time.
Brian Herr: Proposition 2-1/2 tax under-ride: reduce taxes by $1.2M.
Bruce Skarin: Decrease income tax; increase gas tax.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Brian Herr Republican Senate Challenger Massachusetts
- Bruce Skarin Independent Challenger Massachusetts
- Ed Markey Democratic Challenger Massachusetts
- Gabriel Gomez Republican Challenger Massachusetts
The above quotations are from 2014 Massachusetts Senate debates.
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)