The Hill e-magazine coverage and analysis of 2010-2013 campaigns
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from The Hill 2010-2013 (number of quotes indicated):
- Bobby Jindal (2) Louisiana Republican Presidential candidate
- Chris Coons (4) Democratic Jr Senator Delaware
- Christine O`Donnell (4) Republican Senate Challenger Delaware
- Deb Fischer (3) Republican Senate Challenger Nebraska
- Dennis Rehberg (1) Republican Challenger Montana
- Ed Markey (1) Democratic Challenger Massachusetts
- Jeb Bush (1) Florida Former FL Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- Jeff Flake (2) Republican Challenger Arizona
- Jon Tester (1) Democratic Jr Senator Montana
- Lindsey Graham (1) South Carolina S.C. Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Rand Paul (2) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Richard Carmona (6) Democratic Challenger Arizona
- Rick Perry (3) Texas Republican Presidential candidate
- Steve Lynch (4) Democrat (Senate run 2013) U.S. Rep Massachusetts-8
- Ted Cruz (2) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Thomas Perez (1) Cabinet
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
EXPLANATORY NOTE by OnTheIssues.org:
Starting well before each election, candidates produce and air politicial advertisements. Since Citizens United took effect, PACs have produced many campaign ads too.
In modern campaigns, ads might be on TV, but also might be via email, web video, Tweets, or other social media.
Political pundit publications, such as The Hill and Rollcall, analyze campaign advertisements as well as campaign events
(although at OnTheIssues we ignore their relentless coverage of polls; since we consider them irrelevant to normal voters and relevant only to pundits!)
OnTheIssues.org reviews those ads and analyses for relevant issue content, including opponents' responses when available. Sometimes we transcribe the ads from video or audio; sometimes we include commentary; all the time, we urge paying attention to the opponent of each advertiser too, to get the full story!
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Bobby Jindal: Offering contraception is dangerous federal overreach.
Steve Lynch: Opposes abortion funding but funded Planned Parenthood.
Chris Coons: Make abortion safe, legal and rare.
Christine O`Donnell: Converted to pro-life position.
Budget & Economy|
Steve Lynch: Supported sequestration and opposed financial bailouts.
Richard Carmona: Supply-side economics is valid.
Dennis Rehberg: Refused to toe the party line on CAFTA.
Chris Coons: Bailout was done too fast and put billions at risk.
Rand Paul: Voter ID laws offend African Americans.
Ted Cruz: Facilitate school choice for poor Americans.
Steve Lynch: Help Massachusetts fishermen as working class.
Families & Children|
Christine O`Donnell: 1990s: espoused anti-masturbation; porn is akin to adultery.
Rick Perry: Easing restrictions on Cuba hurts the Cuban people.
Rick Perry: China practices communism at night & capitalism in daytime.
Richard Carmona: All earmarks are not pork.
Deb Fischer: Accused of coordinating anti-Bruning TV ad with super-PAC.
Christine O`Donnell: Private sector solutions over growth of government.
Ed Markey: Supported ObamaCare but would repeal aspects of it.
Steve Lynch: Opposed ObamaCare and would repeal aspects of it.
Richard Carmona: Would not have voted for ObamaCare.
Richard Carmona: Eliminate waste, fraud, & abuse--then prevention.
Chris Coons: Responsibly implement healthcare law while containing costs.
Christine O`Donnell: Full repeal of invasive & intrusive healthcare law.
Rand Paul: Deploy missile defense in Eastern Europe but they pay for it.
Ted Cruz: Vital role for deploying military force abroad.
Jon Tester: Touts bipartisanship; voted against DREAM Act.
Principles & Values|
Bobby Jindal: Washington is waging "silent war" against religious liberty.
Deb Fischer: Ran underdog primary campaign on shoestring budget.
Deb Fischer: Do Nebraskans want more career politician in Washington?
Chris Coons: Focuses on his experience; will fight on Delaware issues.
Thomas Perez: Require retirement investment advisers to disclose their pay.
Jeb Bush: Push back the retirement age to 68 or 70.
Jeff Flake: I have not and will not sign Americans for Tax Reform pledge.
Jeff Flake: Full extension of Bush tax cuts.
Richard Carmona: Extend Bush tax cuts as part of comprehensive reform.
Lindsey Graham: Ban online gambling (but not casino gambling).
Rick Perry: Time-out on online gambling at federal level.
War & Peace|
Richard Carmona: Whatever means necessary to prevent Iranian nukes.
The above quotations are from The Hill e-magazine coverage and analysis of 2010-2013 campaigns.
2014 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)