2014 New York Gubernatorial debates and race coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 New York Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Andrew Cuomo (8) New York Democratic Governor
- Kathy Hochul (5) New York Democratic Lt. Governor Challenger
- Rob Astorino (9) New York Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Zephyr Teachout (11) New York Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
New York Gubernatorial race:
- New York Times, "Cuomo's Back-Room Style Draws a Potent Critic," by Susanne Craig, Thomas Kaplan, and William K. Rashbaum, July 31, 2014
- The Villager, "Zephyr Teachout pressuring Gov. Cuomo on his left", by Lincoln Anderson, July 10, 2014
- Epoch Times, "Zephyr Teachout: Corruption Crusader", by Jonathan Zhou, July 8, 2014
- New York Daily News, "Upstart candidate Zephyr Teachout", by Glenn Blain, June 16, 2014
- Newsday, "Taxes seen as key issue in race between Cuomo & Astorino", by Michael Gormley, June 15, 2014
- Buzzfeed.com blog, "Progressive Ticket Will Challenge Andrew Cuomo", by Jacob Fischler, June 13, 2014
- Newsday, "Cuomo attempts to define Astorino", by Michael Gormley, May 18, 2014
- Capital New York e-zine, "Astorino clarifies (somewhat) his position on abortion", by Laura Nahmias, Mar. 7, 2014
- NY State of Politics blog, "Westchester Dems Hit Astorino On Immigration", March 2014
- Homeland Security Newswire e-zine, "State lawmakers question homeland security college", 21 Feb. 2014
- Wall Street Journal, "Effort to Expand Trade", by Erica Orden, Jan. 5, 2014
- Westchester Magazine, "Astorino Questions Cuomo's Medical Marijuana Plan", by Philip Garrity, Jan. 2014
- New York Post, "GOP governors powwow boosts Rob Astorino's candidacy", by Fredric U. Dicker, November 18, 2013
- Wall Street Journal, "Cuomo Weighs in on Syria Debate", by Erica Orden, Sep. 4, 2013
- U.S. House press releases from Rep. Kathy Kochul, Nov. 2011 - Sept. 2012
- Washington Post, "The liberal case for social security cuts", by Matt Miller, February 9, 2011
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Andrew Cuomo: Codify state with federal law to allow 9th-month abortions.
Rob Astorino: No 9th-month abortions, even if federal law allows it.
Rob Astorino: Opposes abortion, except for rape, incest & maternal life.
Rob Astorino: Philosophically opposed, but won't fight legal abortion.
Zephyr Teachout: Endorsed by LGBT organizations; received at Gay Pride parade.
Rob Astorino: Opposes gay marriage, but it's a non-issue.
Rob Astorino: Opposes gay marriage, but it's the law of the land.
Zephyr Teachout: Apply anti-trust rules to corporate political power.
Rob Astorino: No medical marijuana; due to pills, process, and quality.
Zephyr Teachout: Cuomo has completely abandoned schools.
Zephyr Teachout: The public school system has been robbed.
Zephyr Teachout: Stop looting public school system to serve wealthy interests.
Kathy Hochul: Partnerships between employers and educational institutions.
Energy & Oil|
Zephyr Teachout: Sun, solar and wind, not fracking.
Kathy Hochul: EPA cleanup of intolerable odors & emissions in Attica.
Andrew Cuomo: Follow Congressional process in Syrian intervention.
Andrew Cuomo: Start-Up NY: expand foreign trade to boost upstate economies.
Andrew Cuomo: Committed to campaign finance reform.
Zephyr Teachout: Build political system where wealthy donors aren't in charge.
Zephyr Teachout: Political system is still corrupt and rigged for the wealthy.
Kathy Hochul: Top rating from National Rifle Association.
Rob Astorino: Opposes SAFE Act gun control measure.
Zephyr Teachout: I am committed to single-payer.
Andrew Cuomo: $15M for nation's 1st college dedicated to homeland security.
Kathy Hochul: 2007: No drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants.
Zephyr Teachout: Honor the dignity of all immigrants.
Kathy Hochul: Submit temporary guest worker applications online.
Principles & Values|
Zephyr Teachout: Political icons: Teddy Roosevelt & Louis Brandeis.
Andrew Cuomo: OpEd: Primary challenge doubles the campaign donation limit.
Andrew Cuomo: Expose obscure formulas that cause automatic increases.
Andrew Cuomo: Tax cut for middle class; increase taxes on wealthiest 1%.
Rob Astorino: Held Westchester County taxes to $548M, without cuts.
Welfare & Poverty|
Rob Astorino: AdWatch: Opposes affordable housing & hence minorities.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Andrew Cuomo New York Democratic Governor
- Kathy Hochul New York Democratic Lt. Governor Challenger
- Rob Astorino New York Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Zephyr Teachout New York Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
The above quotations are from 2014 New York Gubernatorial debates and race coverage.
2014 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)