2014 California Gubernatorial debates and race coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 California Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Antonio Villaraigosa (14) California Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Hilda Solis (1) California Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Jerry Brown (10) California Democratic Governor
- Neel Kashkari (8) California Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
California Gubernatorial race:
- Washington Post, "Brown's opponent lived like a homeless person," by Hunter Schwarz, Aug. 3, 2014
- Sacramento Bee, "Jerry Brown signs gun control bill", by David Siders, 7/18/2014
- Real Clear Politics blog, "Can High-Speed Rail Opposition Boost California GOP?", by Adam O'Neal, July 10, 2014
- KFBK News Radio 93.1 FM and 1530 AM, "Kashkari Broadcasting from KFBK", July 10th 2014
- Washington Post, "How many people can get stoned and still have a great state?", by Jaime Fuller, March 2, 2014
- Washington Post, "Governor Moonbeam goes mainstream", by Reid Wilson, Feb. 28, 2014
- Mercury News, "Kashkari announces run for California governor", by Jessica Calefati, 1/21/2014
- Sacramento Bee on Jerry Brown, Jan. 5, 2014
- Orange County Register, "The consequences of Obamacare", by Neel Kashkari, Dec. 30, 2013
- NewsMax.com coverage, 12/17/2013
- Los Angeles Times coverage, 4/16/2013 and 12/16/2013
- South California Public Radio coverage, 11/26/2013
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Kashkari--edging closer to 2014 gov run--on the issues", by Carla Marinucci, Nov. 14, 2013
- Huffington Post coverage, 6/23/2013
- CBS "Face the Nation" interview of Antonio Villaraigosa, 1/13/2013
- Washington Post, "GOP Ready to Fund Homeland Security Amid Shutdown", by Neel Kashkari, June 1, 2012
- Washington Post, "No more 'me first' mentality on entitlements", by Neel Kashkari, July 26, 2010
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Neel Kashkari: Supports abortion rights.
Antonio Villaraigosa: GOP rejects abortion in case of rape & incest.
Budget & Economy|
Jerry Brown: Ping-pong budgeting makes no sense.
Neel Kashkari: Ran program to bail out the nation's largest banks.
Jerry Brown: $27B budget gap then; multibillion-dollar surplus now.
Neel Kashkari: Supports gay marriage.
Antonio Villaraigosa: LA's diversity program is "absolutely insufficient".
Antonio Villaraigosa: Reduced violent crime by 50%; increased size of LAPD.
Jerry Brown: Vetoed prosecutor discretion on drugs; keep it a felony.
Jerry Brown: No government-imposed standards for public schools.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Mayoral control of 22 poorly performing schools.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Police in the schools, every day, but not all day.
Jerry Brown: Vetoed considering demographics in college admissions.
Jerry Brown: $25B for water-shortage farmland.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Added 669 acres of open space & 1,549 miles of bikeways.
Neel Kashkari: Require background checks before all firearms sales.
Jerry Brown: Ban hunting with lead bullets; but detachable magazines OK.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Supports Life Act: restrict ammunition, licenses, & weapons.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Ban sales of assault weapons and Saturday night specials.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
Neel Kashkari: Fix ObamaCare's fundamental flaws, or replace it completely.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Healthcare.gov problems caused loss of confidence in Feds.
Neel Kashkari: Sensible immigration reform needed, but not open borders.
Hilda Solis: Supports "Fast for Families" in favor of immigration reform.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Immigration reform is an economic and moral imperative.
Jerry Brown: Extend unemployment benefits federally.
Antonio Villaraigosa: Entitlement reform must be part of reining in debt.
Neel Kashkari: We must cut entitlements, to avoid national insolvency.
Neel Kashkari: Day one, high-speed rail train is dead.
Jerry Brown: 32-year quest to build nation's first high-speed rail line.
Jerry Brown: Pay for high-speed rail project with cap-and-trade revenue.
War & Peace|
Antonio Villaraigosa: End wars & spend in US in stead of Baghdad and Kandahar.
The above quotations are from 2014 California Gubernatorial debates and race coverage.
2014 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)