Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Minnesota Senate race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 MN Senate race (number of quotes indicated):
- Jim Newberger (33) Republican candidate for Minnesota U. S. Senator Minnesota
- Karin Housley (16) Republican candidate for Minnesota U.S. Senator Minnesota
- Paula Overby (20)
- Tina Smith (1) Minnesota Democratic Minnesota Lieutenant Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Minnesota 2018 Senatorial debates and race coverage:
- Huffington Post, "Laws Created To Help Women Make Them 'Look Weaker'," by Alanna Vagianos, April 27, 2018
- Hutchinson Leader, "Fifteen minutes with Karin Housley," by Jeremy Jones, Feb. 18, 2018
- Marshall Independent, "Housley takes senior care issues on campaign," by Michael Lamb, Jan. 31, 2018
- Mankato Free Press, "Housley tours region to focus on economic gain," by Trey Mewes, Jan. 30, 2018
- Minneapolis Post, "WCCO interview offers an early look at Karin Housley," by Eric Black, January 30, 2018
- LetFreedomRingBlog.com, "Sen. Housley: Trump, senior advocate," January 28, 2018
- Twin Cities Pioneer Press, "Karin Housley wants Al Franken's Senate seat," by Dave Orrick, Jan. 25, 2018
- Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "Smith stands behind her work with Planned Parenthood," by Maya Rao, 1/20/2018
- Star Tribune, "Senator demands greater disclosure on senior abuse," by Chris Serres, Nov. 16, 2017
- City Pages, "Are Rep. Jim Newberger's ideas bad enough for the Senate?", by Mike Mullen, August 16, 2017
- St. Cloud Times, "Newberger wants to balance Senate delegation," by Nora G. Hertel Aug. 7, 2017
- City Pages, "Convenient to Connect Rail Between North Mpls, Prison," by Ben Johnson, April 22, 2015
- Fresh Energy, "Bipartisan push for an increased Renewable Energy Standard," February 27, 2017
- (More issues coverage when it becomes available)
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Paula Overby: Abortion is a woman's unrestricted right.
Jim Newberger: Abortion is not an unrestricted right.
Karin Housley: Pro-choice advocates don't represent state's everyday values.
Tina Smith: Served as a Planned Parenthood executive.
Jim Newberger: 100% pro-life.
Jim Newberger: Require that doctor be in room when taking RU-486.
Budget & Economy|
Paula Overby: Stimulus AND market-led recovery.
Jim Newberger: Market-led recovery better than stimulus.
Paula Overby: Supports same-sex marriage.
Karin Housley: Pitched for gay rights but no specifics.
Jim Newberger: Opposes same-sex marriage.
Jim Newberger: Rated 0% by Voices for Racial Justice.
Karin Housley: De-regulation could be new stimulus to help small business.
Karin Housley: Small business needs lower taxes, less government to survive.
Paula Overby: Oppose "tough on crime": it promotes autocracy.
Jim Newberger: Stricter punishment reduces crime.
Karin Housley: Fight to end criminal elderly abuse in senior care homes.
Jim Newberger: Let's connect a new prison by rail to North Minneapolis.
Paula Overby: Marijuana isn't a gateway drug.
Jim Newberger: Marijuana is a gateway drug.
Paula Overby: Vouchers are ok locally but not federally.
Karin Housley: Work together to improve the public school system.
Jim Newberger: Vouchers for school choice are possible.
Energy & Oil|
Paula Overby: Pursue green energy aggressively; it is the future.
Jim Newberger: Don't prioritize green energy.
Jim Newberger: Defended coal-burning Xcel plant in Becker.
Karin Housley: Increase Minnesota's Renewable Energy Standard to 50%.
Paula Overby: Protect natural resources from exploitation.
Jim Newberger: Fight EPA regulatory over-reach.
Jim Newberger: Get government & extreme environmental Left off our backs.
Families & Children|
Karin Housley: If women are empowered and independent they don't need laws.
Paula Overby: Oppose American Exceptionalism.
Jim Newberger: Support American Exceptionalism.
Jim Newberger: Prevent MN from implementing policies set by UN Agenda 21.
Paula Overby: Expand free trade but not economic exploitation.
Jim Newberger: Support & expand free trade.
Paula Overby: Make voter registration easier.
Jim Newberger: No need to make voter registration easier.
Karin Housley: Switch from partisan way of governing back to compromise.
Paula Overby: I don't support an absolute right to gun ownership.
Jim Newberger: Absolute right to gun ownership.
Jim Newberger: Supports 2nd Amendment rights.
Paula Overby: Oppose ObamaCare; Medicare for all is a better path.
Jim Newberger: Opposes ObamaCare.
Karin Housley: Examine and revamp failed health investigations.
Jim Newberger: Repeal ObamaCare, by any method.
Paula Overby: Shift military spending to social and economic development.
Jim Newberger: Expand the military.
Jim Newberger: Part of what makes our nation great is our military.
Karin Housley: Put veteran programs in place for active and retired.
Paula Overby: Pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens.
Karin Housley: Supports path to legal status for DREAMers.
Jim Newberger: Pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens is possible.
Karin Housley: Backs pathway to citizenship for DREAMers.
Jim Newberger: Immigrants must accept American law.
Paula Overby: Oppose affirmative action.
Jim Newberger: Opposes affirmative action.
Principles & Values|
Paula Overby: Don't empower human institutions with authority of God.
Jim Newberger: Keep God in the public sphere.
Karin Housley: Traditional homespun values keep her honest and guilt free.
Paula Overby: We need a safe way to save for retirement.
Jim Newberger: Don't privatize Social Security.
Jim Newberger: Social Security must be protected.
Paula Overby: Wealth does not trickle down.
Jim Newberger: Opposes higher taxes on the wealthy.
Jim Newberger: Simplify our tax code; the IRS has become too powerful.
Karin Housley: Supporter of Trump tax reform bill; jobs are being created.
Karin Housley: Economy will boom with more tax reform and deregulations.
War & Peace|
Paula Overby: I support the Powell doctrine, not foreign entanglements.
Jim Newberger: Avoid foreign entanglements.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Jim Newberger Republican candidate for Minnesota U. S. Senator Minnesota
- Karin Housley Republican candidate for Minnesota U.S. Senator Minnesota
- Paula Overby
- Tina Smith Minnesota Democratic Minnesota Lieutenant Governor
The above quotations are from 2018 Minnesota Senate race: debates and news coverage.