A Very Human President
by Jack Valenti
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 20 full quotes from Lyndon Johnson in the book A Very Human President, by Jack Valenti.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Take civil rights to the country as a moral crusade.
Practiced as ecumenist; detached from any dogma.
Stung by intellectuals, but sincere respect for universities.
Elementary & Secondary Education Act: aid to educate masses.
Goal: 1/2% of GNP for foreign assistance.
As much personal contact as possible with foreign leaders.
Staff rule: Don't touch money; let finance dept. handle it.
Staff rule: Fired for meeting about contract with contractor.
Distaste for wiretapping as V.P. and as President.
Principles & Values|
Persuasion over lunch with press, bankers, or black leaders.
To persuade Congress, persuade their constituencies.
1968: created national public broadcasting system.
Obsessive need for information; fanatic about facts.
LBJ's FBI never wiretapped MLK.
War & Peace|
1965: Vietnam bombing pause to encourage peace talks.
Convince the Viet Cong we cannot be defeated by power.
Balance Vietnam fighting without USA versus risking WWIII.
1968: no run for re-election so Vietnam peace might work.
Welfare & Poverty|
Rent supplements cost less than public housing.
Great Society required business community's support.
The above quotations are from A Very Human President
by Jack Valenti.
Biographies of past presidents:
- President George W. Bush
- Decision Points, by George W. Bush
- A Charge to Keep, by George W. Bush
- President Bill Clinton
- Back to Work, by Pres. Bill Clinton
- The Agenda, by Bob Woodward
- President George H. W. Bush
- All the Best, My Life in Letters, by George Bush Sr.
- The Family, (the Bushes) by Kitty Kelley
- William & Mary Environmental Law Review, by Cameron Lynch
- President Ronald Reagan
- Dutch, a Memoir of Ronald Reagan, by Edmund Morris
- Abortion and the Conscience of a Nation, by Pres. Ronald Reagan
- President Jimmy Carter
- An Hour Before Daylight, by Jimmy Carter
- Jimmy Who?: biography of Jimmy Carter
- President Gerald Ford
- Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate,by Bob Woodward
- A Time to Heal: The Autobiography of Gerald R. Ford
- President Richard Nixon
- Seize the Moment, by Richard Nixon
- The Watergate Transcripts, by The Washington Post
- President Lyndon Johnson
- The Passage of Power, by Robert Caro
- Taking Charge: The Johnson White House Tapes, by Michael Beschloss
- President John F. Kennedy
- Profiles In Courage, by John F. Kennedy
- A Nation of Immigrants, by John F. Kennedy
- Kennedy & Nixon, by Chris Matthews
- 1000 Days, by Arthur Schlesinger
- President Dwight Eisenhower
- Waging Peace, by Dwight Eisenhower
- Ike and Dick, by Jeffrey Frank
- President Harry Truman
- Plain Speaking, by Merle Miller
- Wit & Wisdom of Harry Truman, by Ralph Keyes