The Revolution: A Manifesto,
by Ron Paul
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 15 full quotes from Ron Paul in the book The Revolution: A Manifesto, by Ron Paul.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
BOOK REVIEW by OnTheIssues.org:
This book is as close as Ron Paul's 2008 campaign gets to a campaign book. It was published in April 2008, amid Ron Paul's presidential primary campaign, and the title refers to the "Ron Paul Revolution" using the term that his supporters coined.
This book outlines Rep. Paul's general stances on the issues, both political and policy. Paul's policies are more libertarian than conservative -- he opposes all government intervention, including the Iraq War. Paul clarifies here how he's often anti-Republican -- bashing the GOP "Contract with America" as well as Bush's signing statements. But he is a Republican -- pro-life and anti-foreign aid.
The title term "Revolution" refers to the grassroots campaign's self-described "Ron Paul Revolution." Their most substantive claim to a revolution is in how Paul's grassroots supporters -- independent of the formal campaign -- organized a pair of fundraising events in late 2007 that set fundraising records. The first event, on Nov. 5, a historic date known as Guy Fawkes Day, raised $4.2 million; the second event, on the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, broke that record again.
The events were organized primarily on the internet, and while the campaign was aware of the "money bombs," the campaign itself did not organize the events. Howard Dean supporters will recognize that the techniques they pioneered in 2004 were used to great effect by Ron Paul supporters. While the Deanies in 2004 had to contend with defining FEC 527 laws and independent grassroots fundraising, the Paulistas in 2008 knew all the rules in advance. Both campaigns will presumably be used as models for future grassroots fundraising.
Paul has several more detailed books for those interested in a deeper dive into libertarian policy. The three that we've excerpted are Paul's book on foreign policy, A Foreign Policy of Freedom; on economics, Gold, Peace, and Prosperity; and on Constitutional issues, Freedom Under Siege. Those three books were written well before the presidential campaign, but have been more recently updated in some parts.
-- Jesse Gordon, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, November 2008
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Abortion is murder.
Roe v. Wade decision was harmful to the Constitution.
Budget & Economy|
Wasteful government spending backed by both parties.
School prayer is not a federal issue.
Private funds for arts work better than government funds.
Free trade agreements threaten national sovereignty.
The “living Constitution” is the death of democracy.
Replace Medicaid with volunteer pro-bono medical care.
Private medical savings accounts, not government meddling.
Conscription is unconstitutional--including National Service.
Principles & Values|
Contract with America was a toothless cop out.
11/5/07: Set fundraising record of $4 million in single day.
War & Peace|
Terrorism is just like any other murder: you look for motive.
War in Iraq was senseless invasion of sovereign state.
Mandate declaration of war before military aggression.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Ron Paul
The above quotations are from The Revolution: A Manifesto,
by Ron Paul.
Books by Sen. Rand Paul:
- Government Bullies: How Everyday Americans Are Being Harassed, Abused, and Imprisoned by the Feds (2012)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington (2011)
- Books by Rep. Ron Paul:
- Gold, Peace, and Prosperity: The Birth of a New Currency
- The Revolution: A Manifesto
- A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
- Freedom Under Siege
- The Case For Gold
- Liberty Defined
- Books about Ron Paul:
- Ron Paul vs. Newt Gingrich On the Issues, by Jesse Gordon, Dec. 2011
- Ron Paul vs. Barack Obama On the Issues, by Jesse Gordon, Jan. 2012
- Debates with Ron Paul:
- Speeches at 2008 CPAC conference
- 2008 GOP debate at Reagan Library in Simi Valley
- Republican presidential debate, before South Carolina primary
- 2008 Republican primary debate in Boca Raton Florida
- 2008 Republican primary debate, sponsored by Facebook, Jan. 5, 2008
- Republican primary debate, broadcast in Spanish
- 2007 GOP debate sponsored by Des Moines Register, Dec. 12, 2007
- 2007 GOP YouTube debate
- 2007 Republican Presidential Forum at Morgan State University, Sept. 27, 2007
- GOP debate in Dearborn, Michigan
- 2007 GOP primary debate in Orlando, Florida
- Values Voter Presidential Debate
- 2007 Republican Primary debate at University of New Hampshire
- 2007 GOP Iowa Straw Poll debate, hosted by George Stephanopoulos, August 5, 2007
- 2007 Republican primary debate at St. Anselm College, Manchester N.H., June 5, 2007
- 2007 Republican Primary Debate in Columbia, South Carolina, May 15, 2007, sponsored by Fox News
- 2007 GOP primary debate, at Ronald Reagan library in Simi Valley California