Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
A Foreign Policy of Freedom
Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship, by Ron Paul
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 26 full quotes from Ron Paul in the book A Foreign Policy of Freedom, by Ron Paul.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
BOOK REVIEW by OnTheIssues.org:
This book outlines Ron Paul's foreign policy by re-publishing his key speeches that he made on the floor of the House of Representatives. Paul provides brief commentary on some of the speeches, and he highlights the key concepts, but more valuable is his overall summary of "A Foreign Policy for a Constitutional Republic" as the last chapter (pages 361-371). House speeches are pretty dull even to the policy wonks at OnTheIssues. But this collection is made even duller by its repetitiveness -- because the book only focuses on foreign policy, just about every speech in 2002, for example, is about the lead-up to the Iraq War. When Rep. Paul made these speeches, a month apart from each other, it made sense to repeat the same concepts over again. But in book form, it would be more readable if Rep. Paul selected excerpts instead of printing every speech verbatim from beginning to end. Happily for our readers, we do the excerpting here.
Despite the dullness of this book, it is important because it documents Rep. Paul's position on the Iraq War, from before the war started (when he opposed it), until majority public opinion switched from supporting the war (when Paul still opposed it). The Iraq War is the biggest issue of this presidential campaign, and Paul is the only Republican who's against the war -- so providing this material in detail is certainly relevant to his campaign.
One could view the earlier 150 pages of the book -- spanning the period from 1976 to 2001 -- as documentation that Rep. Paul is consistent in applying his principles of foreign policy to other wars. We'll confirm that he does -- there, now you don't have to read those 150 pages. We fail to see how Rep. Paul's views on Kosovo are relevant to this presidential race, so we omitted them from our excerpts.
The "Paulistas," or Ron Paul fans who heavily populate the Internet, might be the only audience who enjoy this book, although it says little that has not been said on the campaign trail. Paulistas might prefer Paul's other books, which are not only shorter, but are actually written as books instead of a collection of speeches. The two that we've excerpted are Paul's book on economics, Gold, Peace, and Prosperity, and on Constitutional issues, Freedom Under Siege.
-- Jesse Gordon, [email protected], December 2007
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Maintaining American empire diminishes dollar.
Fiat money causes economic & political imbalances.
Drug War fosters violence at home & breeds resentment abroad.
Neutrality on Israel-Palestine; start by defunding both.
UN membership leads to impractical military conflicts.
Avoid double standard--follow international law.
Interventionism perpetuated by politicianís false patriotism.
No foreign aid; no treaties that commit US to future wars.
Conservatives support big government war policies.
Explore reasons behind terrorist attacks on US.
Conscription is forced servitude--no draft for illegal wars.
Costs of war always higher than expected & go on for decades.
We canít fight for freedom if we impose Patriot Act.
Governments orchestrate fear to throw their weight around.
Pre-emptive war policy is a grave mistake.
Principles & Values|
Neocons believe in secrecy, deceit, & imperialism.
Militarizing outer space impoverishes America.
War & Peace|
2002: No evidence of Iraqi nukes nor al Qaeda ties.
Congress is abdicating its responsibility to declare war.
We believe Osamaís threats, so why not believe his reasons?
1991 Gulf War was a UN war, not a US war.
Same false arguments for invading Iraq now applied to Iran.
Iran not in violation of NPT--so talk without preconditions.
Terrorists attack us for our actions abroad, not our freedom.
US has fought 70 engagements since 1945.
Limit wars debunking glorification of war.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Ron Paul
The above quotations are from A Foreign Policy of Freedom
Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship, by Ron Paul.
Books by Sen. Rand Paul:
- Government Bullies: How Everyday Americans Are Being Harassed, Abused, and Imprisoned by the Feds (2012)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington (2011)
- Books by Rep. Ron Paul:
- Gold, Peace, and Prosperity: The Birth of a New Currency
- The Revolution: A Manifesto
- A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
- Freedom Under Siege
- The Case For Gold
- Liberty Defined
- Books about Ron Paul:
- Ron Paul vs. Newt Gingrich On the Issues, by Jesse Gordon, Dec. 2011
- Ron Paul vs. Barack Obama On the Issues, by Jesse Gordon, Jan. 2012
- Debates with Ron Paul:
- Speeches at 2008 CPAC conference
- 2008 GOP debate at Reagan Library in Simi Valley
- Republican presidential debate, before South Carolina primary
- 2008 Republican primary debate in Boca Raton Florida
- 2008 Republican primary debate, sponsored by Facebook, Jan. 5, 2008
- Republican primary debate, broadcast in Spanish
- 2007 GOP debate sponsored by Des Moines Register, Dec. 12, 2007
- 2007 GOP YouTube debate
- 2007 Republican Presidential Forum at Morgan State University, Sept. 27, 2007
- GOP debate in Dearborn, Michigan
- 2007 GOP primary debate in Orlando, Florida
- Values Voter Presidential Debate
- 2007 Republican Primary debate at University of New Hampshire
- 2007 GOP Iowa Straw Poll debate, hosted by George Stephanopoulos, August 5, 2007
- 2007 Republican primary debate at St. Anselm College, Manchester N.H., June 5, 2007
- 2007 Republican Primary Debate in Columbia, South Carolina, May 15, 2007, sponsored by Fox News
- 2007 GOP primary debate, at Ronald Reagan library in Simi Valley California