Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
VoteSmart synopsis of 2000-2010 legislative records
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from VoteSmart 2000-2010 legislative records (number of quotes indicated):
- Carlos Lopez-Cantera (1) Republican Senate Challenger Florida
- Chris Powell (3) Oklahoma Libertarian candidate for governor of
- Deborah Ross (1) Democratic Senate candidate North Carolina
- Gretchen Whitmer (1) Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
- James Emerson Smith (3) South Carolina Democratic candidate for governor of
- Jason Kander (1) Democratic Senate candidate Missouri
- Matthew Corey (4) Republican Candidate for Connecticut U.S. Senator Connecticut
- Rob Hogg (2) Democratic Senate challenger Iowa
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
- Project Vote-Smart surveys state legislative records and summarizes bill sponsorships and votes.
- OnTheIssues does the same thing from federal legislative records, by reading the Congressional Record (available through the Library of Congress online.)
- OnTheIssues sometimes reads state legislative records (for the few states that post their House and Senate journals online) and sometimes relies on VoteSmart (who use the more readily-available printed version).
- In both cases, the summaries are intended to be non-biased politically: a description of the bill, rather than an analysis of its effect.
- OnTheIssues also adds Pro and Con opinions on federal legislation, from proponents and opponents of each bill in the legislature or in private organizations.
- Generally, Pro and Con opinions are not available for most state legislation, so VoteSmart sticks to just summaries.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
James Emerson Smith: Limit abortion to first trimester, or incest/rape situations.
Chris Powell: No public funding of organizations that perform abortions.
James Emerson Smith: Supports death penalty; ending parole; and more prisons.
Matthew Corey: Decriminalize medical marijuana.
Rob Hogg: $45M for teacher salary increases plus 4-year-old preschool.
Energy & Oil|
Gretchen Whitmer: Promote increased use of alternative fuel technology.
Matthew Corey: Open parts of ANWR Wildlife Refuge for oil exploration.
Carlos Lopez-Cantera: More disclosure of campaign contributions & fundraising.
Deborah Ross: Establish one-stop registration and voting sites.
Chris Powell: Supports on-line voting & term limits.
Chris Powell: No campaign donation limits, and no disclosure.
Jason Kander: Keep restrictions for concealed carry; don't loosen them.
Rob Hogg: No home mortgages for illegal immigrants.
Matthew Corey: No affirmative action; reduce state regulations on business.
James Emerson Smith: Eliminate inheritance tax, property tax, and vehicle tax.
Matthew Corey: Eliminate inheritance taxes; no state income tax.
The above quotations are from VoteSmart synopsis of 2000-2010 legislative records.