Take the Risk
Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk, by Ben Carson
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 2 full quotes from Ben Carson in the book Take the Risk, by Ben Carson.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
BOOK REVIEW by OnTheIssues.org:
This book is not about politics; Ben Carson, the Tea Party favorite, later wrote a political book, America the Beautiful, in 2012. This book is also not about medicine; Dr. Carson, the neurosurgeon, previously wrote Gifted Hands, in 1992. This book IS about Carson's method of risk analysis, and how to apply it to both politics and medicine, as well as several other fields.
Carson calls his method of risk analysis "Best/Worst Analysis." The "B/WA formula" (pp. 104-5) analyzes four questions:
Carson applies that formula to everything from his personal health (pp. 164-72); to interpersonal relationships (pp. 178-81); to parenting (p. 192). Of course Carson also heavily applies the B/WA formula to his medical decision-making (p. 104ff) and to politics (p. 229ff), which comprise most of the excerpts detailed below.
- What is the BEST thing that can happen if I DO this?
- What is the WORST thing that can happen if I DO this?
- What is the BEST thing that can happen if I DON'T do it?
- What is the WORST thing that can happen if I DON'T do it?
Carson finds the opportunity to describe numerous aspects of his religious beliefs as well as his risk analysis beliefs. He includes a long section (pp. 122-8) discussing evolution vs. creationism (he is anti-Darwin); and cites numerous Bible verses (focusing on Proverbs, p. 80, 86, 133, but also Psalms, p. 135, and numerous less-specific references). The book is primarily biographical, so Carson fans should appreciate all of the anecdotes. And non-Carson fans might appreciate the analytical techniques.
-- Jesse Gordon, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, August 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Suffered research cancer injection and prostate cancer.
Principles & Values|
B/WA: Best/Worst Analysis for risk assessment.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Ben Carson
The above quotations are from Take the Risk
Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk, by Ben Carson.
2016 Presidential coverage (recent books by early contenders):
- Crippled America, by Donald J. Trump
- Outsider in the White House, by Bernie Sanders
- Never Enough: Trump and the Pursuit of Success, by Michael D'Antonio
- Excerpts from FeelTheBern.org, grassroots presidential campaign website
- Playing Bigger, Intro by Bernie Sanders
- Milk Money, Intro by Bernie Sanders
- American Dynasty: The House of Bush, by Kevin Phillips
- Bella's Gift, by Sen. Rick Santorum (R, PA)
- One Nation, by Ben Carson (R, MD)
- American Dreams, by Sen. Marco Rubio (R, FL)
- God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy, by Gov. Mike Huckabee (R, AR)
- Think Like a Champion, by CEO Donald Trump (R, NY)
- Tough Choices, by CEO Carly Fiorina (R, CA)
- Blue Collar Conservatives, by Sen. Rick Santorum (R, PA)
- The Way Forward, by Rep. Paul Ryan (R, WI)
- Unintimidated, by Gov. Scott Walker (R, WI)
- Outsider in the House, by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I, VT)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- All Things Possible, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D, NY)
- Take the Risk, by Dr. Ben Carson (R, MD)
- American Enterprise Institute columns, by Amb. John Bolton
- Obama is Endangering our Sovereignty, by John Bolton
- Surrender is Not an Option, by John Bolton
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Sen. Rand Paul
- Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power
- Teachers Under Attack, biography of Chris Christie
- The Jersey Sting, biography of Chris Christie
- Young Guns, by Rep. Paul Ryan
- What Will It Take to Make A Woman President?, by Marianne Schnall