CBS "Face the Nation" interviews during 2013
(Bob Schieffer interviewing candidates for 2014 and 2016 races)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from CBS "Face the Nation" interviews during 2013 (number of quotes indicated):
- Chris Christie (1) New Jersey Republican Governor
- Jack Reed (2) Democratic Sr Senator Rhode Island
- Jeb Bush (3) Florida Republican Governor
- Jeff Sessions (1) Republican Sr Senator Alabama
- John Cornyn (2) Republican Sr Senator Texas
- Lindsey Graham (4) Republican Sr Senator South Carolina
- Mark Udall (1) Democratic Sr Senator; previously Representative Colorado
- Mark Warner (1) Virginia Former Democratic Governor (2002-2006); elected Senator 2008
- Mitch McConnell (2) Republican Sr Senator Kentucky
- Richard Durbin (2) Democratic Sr Senator Illinois
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
A long-standing political tradition is the Sunday morning talk show,
beginning with "Meet the Press" in 1947.
Currently, five separate "talking head" programs appear on five different TV stations every Sunday morning.
Making an appearance on all five talk shows on one Sunday is known as a Full Ginsburg,
because it was first accomplished by William Ginsburg (Monica Lewinsky's attorney) in 1998.
In 2013, both Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio accomplished a Full Ginsborg,
fueling speculation that both are planning a presidential run in 2016.
OnTheIssues.org excerpts all five of the shows, listed below, with their respective interviewing pundits and each pundit's political affiliation:
- ABC This Week: (George Stephanopoulos; liberal; from Bill Clinton's staff)
- CNN "State of the Union": (Candy Crowley; moderate liberal)
- Fox News Sunday: (Chris Wallace; conservative)
- Meet the Press: (David Gregory; moderate)
- CBS Face the Nation: (Bob Schieffer; moderate; ran briefly as Democrat for governor of Texas in 2009)
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Mark Warner: Sequester was stupidest way to cut; shutdown cost even more.
John Cornyn: We've had 17 federal shutdowns since 1976; Obama is AWOL.
Energy & Oil|
Jeb Bush: A "patriotic energy policy" will yield far more revenue.
Mitch McConnell: Federal shutdown was just a 2-week paid vacation: bad policy.
Lindsey Graham: Let ObamaCare show itself as a continuing debacle.
Mitch McConnell: ObamaCare is a train wreck; do what we can to repeal it.
John Cornyn: End Congress' carve-out exemption from ObamaCare penalties.
Mark Udall: NSA should not collect bulk data; go through FISA court.
Richard Durbin: Benghazi was a tragedy, but not a cover-up.
Lindsey Graham: Cuts to military systems will leave us with a hollow force.
Jack Reed: Don't over-react to Benghazi; situation was confused.
Lindsey Graham: President did not do enough to protect Benghazi embassy.
Jeff Sessions: Opposes amnesty first; finish fencing and enforcement first.
Jeb Bush: Reform must make it easier to come legally than illegally.
Principles & Values|
Jeb Bush: Obama divided into "them vs. us"; GOP needs alternatives.
Richard Durbin: Bipartisan dialogue instead of gridlock.
War & Peace|
Chris Christie: Governors shouldn't offer opinions about Syria.
Jack Reed: Coalition to stop Syrian WMDs, but nothing more militarily.
Lindsey Graham: Get involved in Syria to protect against al Qaeda and Iran.
The above quotations are from CBS "Face the Nation" interviews during 2013
(Bob Schieffer interviewing candidates for 2014 and 2016 races).
Page last edited: Jan 06, 2014