ABC This Week interviews during 2013
(George Stephanopoulous interviewing candidates for 2014 and 2016 races)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from ABC This Week interviews during 2013 (number of quotes indicated):
- Chris Christie (2) New Jersey Republican Governor
- Jack Reed (4) Democratic Sr Senator Rhode Island
- Jeb Bush (4) Florida Republican Governor
- Marco Rubio (2) Republican Senator (FL)
- Rand Paul (3) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
A long-standing political tradition is the Sunday morning talk show,
beginning with "Meet the Press" in 1947.
Currently, five separate "talking head" programs appear on five different TV stations every Sunday morning.
Making an appearance on all five talk shows on one Sunday is known as a Full Ginsburg,
because it was first accomplished by William Ginsburg (Monica Lewinsky's attorney) in 1998.
In 2013, both Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio accomplished a Full Ginsburg,
fueling speculation that both are planning a presidential run in 2016.
OnTheIssues.org excerpts all five of the shows, listed below, with their respective interviewing pundits and each pundit's political affiliation:
- ABC This Week: (George Stephanopoulos; liberal; from Bill Clinton's staff)
- CNN "State of the Union": (Candy Crowley; moderate liberal)
- Fox News Sunday: (Chris Wallace; conservative)
- Meet the Press: (David Gregory; moderate)
- CBS Face the Nation: (Bob Schieffer; moderate; ran briefly as Democrat for governor of Texas in 2009)
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Jack Reed: Address the sequester & debt ceiling without any new taxes.
Jeb Bush: No Child Left Behind got states to start reforms.
Jeb Bush: Common core lets 1,000 different curriculum flowers bloom.
Jeb Bush: We test too much; focus on accountability instead.
Chris Christie: Expand Medicare, but no N.J. ObamaCare exchange.
Rand Paul: ObamaCare cuts hundreds of choices down to just four.
Jeb Bush: Let ObamaCare fail due to its own dysfunction.
Rand Paul: Allow challenges to NSA in open court, not FISA court.
Rand Paul: Give trials to Guantanamo detainees.
Jack Reed: No Benghazi cover-up; had 11 hearings & 25,000 documents.
Chris Christie: Path to citizenship in context of fixing broken system.
War & Peace|
Marco Rubio: Syria: arm rebels last year; now just work with some.
Marco Rubio: New Iranian leader is more moderate but still supports nukes.
Jack Reed: Red line in Syria if chemical weapons used against people.
Jack Reed: More pressure on Iran; keep all options on the table.
The above quotations are from ABC This Week interviews during 2013
(George Stephanopoulous interviewing candidates for 2014 and 2016 races).
Page last edited: Jan 06, 2014