2013 Fact Checking
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2013 FactCheck.org (number of quotes indicated):
- Barack Obama (3) Democratic President (elected 2008)
- Ed Markey (1) Democratic Challenger Massachusetts
- Gabriel Gomez (1) Republican Challenger Massachusetts
- John McCain (1) Republican
- Marco Rubio (1) FL Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Mitt Romney (1) Massachusetts Former GOP Governor (2003-2006); Pres. candidate (2008)
- Rand Paul (2) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
EXPLANATORY NOTE by OnTheIssues.org:
FactCheck.org analyses the veracity of statements made during political races.
OnTheIssues.org summarizes two sets of analyses:
1. From debates and public speeches
2. From TV & radio advertisements
Following is the self-description of how FactCheck.org works:
[FactCheck.org is] a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.
The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in 1994 to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state, and federal levels.
The APPC accepts NO funding from business corporations, labor unions, political parties, lobbying organizations or individuals. It is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.
-- Jesse Gordon, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, November 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Rand Paul: FactCheck: US borrowing $30,000 per second, not $50,000.
Barack Obama: FactCheck: $2.5T deficit reduction is a debatable estimate.
Energy & Oil|
Barack Obama: FactCheck: Wind & solar doubled, but now only 1.4% of energy.
John McCain: FactCheck: Pushed cap-and-trade bill in 2009, but not since.
Ed Markey: Authored laws on Telecomm, insider trading, and Alzheimers.
Marco Rubio: FactCheck: ObamaCare is not now forcing loss of insurance.
Barack Obama: FactCheck: Yes, 500K manufacturing jobs since 2010, but...
Mitt Romney: FactCheck: Briefly supported tying minimum wage to inflation.
Principles & Values|
Gabriel Gomez: FactCheck: Markey authored successful bills over 22 years.
Rand Paul: FactCheck: Free "Obama phones" actually started in 1984.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Barack Obama Democratic President (elected 2008)
- Ed Markey Democratic Challenger Massachusetts
- Gabriel Gomez Republican Challenger Massachusetts
- John McCain Republican
- Marco Rubio FL Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Mitt Romney Massachusetts Former GOP Governor (2003-2006); Pres. candidate (2008)
- Rand Paul Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
The above quotations are from 2013 Fact Checking.