CNN "State of the Union" interviews during 2013
(Candy Crowley interviewing candidates for 2014 and 2016 races)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from CNN "State of the Union" interviews during 2013 (number of quotes indicated):
- Jack Reed (1) Democratic Sr Senator Rhode Island
- Jeb Bush (2) Florida Republican Governor
- John Hickenlooper (3) Colorado Democratic Governor
- Lindsey Graham (2) Republican Sr Senator South Carolina
- Mark Udall (1) Democratic Sr Senator; previously Representative Colorado
- Mitch McConnell (1) Republican Sr Senator Kentucky
- Peter King (1) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Rand Paul (1) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Richard Durbin (4) Democratic Sr Senator Illinois
- Rick Perry (3) Texas Republican Governor
- Susan Collins (2) Republican Sr Senator Maine
- Tom Cotton (1) Republican U.S. Rep Arkansas-4
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
A long-standing political tradition is the Sunday morning talk show,
beginning with "Meet the Press" in 1947.
Currently, five separate "talking head" programs appear on five different TV stations every Sunday morning.
Making an appearance on all five talk shows on one Sunday is known as a Full Ginsburg,
because it was first accomplished by William Ginsburg (Monica Lewinsky's attorney) in 1998.
In 2013, both Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio accomplished a Full Ginsborg,
fueling speculation that both are planning a presidential run in 2016.
OnTheIssues.org excerpts all five of the shows, listed below, with their respective interviewing pundits and each pundit's political affiliation:
- ABC This Week: (George Stephanopoulos; liberal; from Bill Clinton's staff)
- CNN "State of the Union": (Candy Crowley; moderate liberal)
- Fox News Sunday: (Chris Wallace; conservative)
- Meet the Press: (David Gregory; moderate)
- CBS Face the Nation: (Bob Schieffer; moderate; ran briefly as Democrat for governor of Texas in 2009)
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Rick Perry: More restrictions on abortion clinics; 5-month limit.
Budget & Economy|
Rand Paul: The sequester is the law of the land: can't compromise on it.
Mitch McConnell: Supports sequester cuts: 2.4% out of $3.6 trillion budget.
Jack Reed: Postpone sequestration; then balanced taxes & cuts.
Lindsey Graham: Dollar-for-dollar offset: cut spending to raise debt ceiling.
John Hickenlooper: $20M for mental health 24/7 call-in centers.
Rick Perry: I think our justice system is color blind.
Energy & Oil|
Richard Durbin: Energy tax to fund infrastructure investment.
Susan Collins: Outrageous for IRS to target Tea Party groups.
John Hickenlooper: State Senate "Line item recall" about too-strict gun control.
John Hickenlooper: Universal background checks but no assault weapon ban.
Susan Collins: Cuts in defense are very troubling to me personally.
Mark Udall: Reopen PATRIOT Act: stop gathering secret phone data.
Rick Perry: Why isn't D.C. talking with border states about the border?
Richard Durbin: Reform will increase coordination & reduce terrorism.
Richard Durbin: Extend partner immigration rights to gay couples.
Jeb Bush: People come illegally because there's no legal path to come.
Richard Durbin: Close tax loopholes and gain $1.2T from the wealthy.
War & Peace|
Peter King: Assad is evil, but arming rebels brings another dictator.
Tom Cotton: Iraq War was just and noble.
Jeb Bush: Over time, people will respect our resolve in Iraq.
Lindsey Graham: Slow Afghan withdrawal, with 15,000 US troops left behind.
The above quotations are from CNN "State of the Union" interviews during 2013
(Candy Crowley interviewing candidates for 2014 and 2016 races).
Page last edited: Jan 06, 2014