Speeches at the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte NC, Sept. 4-6, 2012
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2012 Democratic National Convention speeches (number of quotes indicated):
- Antonio Villaraigosa (1) California Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Barack Obama (14) Democratic President (elected 2008)
- Bev Perdue (3) North Carolina Former Democratic Governor (2009-2013)
- Bill Clinton (8) Democrat
- Cory Booker (4) New Jersey Mayor of Newark
- Deval Patrick (4) Massachusetts Democratic Governor
- Elizabeth Warren (2) Democratic Challenger Massachusetts
- Joe Biden (3) Democrat
- John Kerry (2) Cabinet
- Lincoln Chafee (3) Rhode Island Independent Governor
- Martin O`Malley (2) Maryland Democratic Governor
- Rahm Emanuel (1) Cabinet
- Ted Strickland (1) Ohio Former Democratic Governor (2006-2010)
- Tim Kaine (8) Virginia Former Democrat Governor (2006-2009); chair of DNC
- Tom Menino (3) Massachusetts Mayor of Boston
- Tom Vilsack (2) Iowa Former Democratic Governor (1994-2002); Cabinet Sec'y (USDA)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Lincoln Chafee: A woman should make her own reproductive decisions.
Bev Perdue: Guarantee women access to birth control & Planned Parenthood.
Tim Kaine: Don't deny privacy to women making health care decisions.
Budget & Economy|
Barack Obama: You elected me to tell the truth: The path ahead is hard.
Bill Clinton: No one could fix mess in 4 years; but policies are working.
Bill Clinton: How to balance budgets? Arithmetic; which GOP ignores.
Tom Menino: Don't go back to trickle-down philosophies.
Tom Menino: Boston is seeing progress because of Recovery Act dollars.
Bev Perdue: Old failed GOP plans brought about economic crisis.
Cory Booker: Paying your fair share isn't class warfare, it's patriotism.
Deval Patrick: Trickle-down fantasies got us into recession to begin with.
Martin O`Malley: Obama inherited worst economy since the Great Depression.
Rahm Emanuel: Economy was in freefall in 2008; we're still recovering.
Tom Menino: You know what we call "same sex couples"? Our friends.
Bev Perdue: Help women fight for equal pay for equal work.
Deval Patrick: Today in Massachusetts, you can marry whomever you love.
Tim Kaine: Obama fought for equal pay for women.
Tim Kaine: Obama fought for fair treatment for LGBT Americans.
Barack Obama: End tax breaks to corporations that ship jobs overseas.
Joe Biden: Auto bailout saved a million American jobs.
Bill Clinton: Republicans cut taxes for the rich & deregulate banks.
Elizabeth Warren: People feel like the system is rigged, because it is.
Cory Booker: Predatory lending & unchecked avarice destabilized economy.
Ted Strickland: Auto industry slogging back, but we've got a long way to go.
Tim Kaine: Auto industry is back; manufacturers are hiring again.
Barack Obama: Michelle: We were so young, so in love, and so in debt.
Energy & Oil|
Barack Obama: Doubled use of renewable energy; doubled car fuel efficiency.
Barack Obama: Develop 100-year natural gas supply; it's beneath our feet.
Lincoln Chafee: We believe in environmental stewardship.
Bill Clinton: If you double your gas mileage, it cuts cost & reduces CO2.
Tom Vilsack: More investment in production of bio-fuels & bio-materials.
Families & Children|
Elizabeth Warren: I grew up in a family on the ragged edge of the middle class.
Barack Obama: Family's unconditional love more important than money.
John Kerry: Freed Libya by rejecting false choice of force vs. diplomacy.
Lincoln Chafee: End prevailing attitude of arrogant reckless war.
Barack Obama: Trade agreements mean we sell "Made in America" to millions.
Bill Clinton: ObamaCare has already insured millions and reduced costs.
Barack Obama: Ignored advice to postpone reform, because it was needed.
Cory Booker: Incentives to train & hire troops returning home.
Joe Biden: A job is about more than a paycheck; it's about dignity.
Bill Clinton: Democratic presidents have created more jobs than Republican.
Tim Kaine: VA had low unemployment rates during worst of recession.
Principles & Values|
Antonio Villaraigosa: Reinsert "God" into DNC platform despite vote against it.
Barack Obama: This election about vision of restoring middle class values.
John Kerry: American exceptionalism is about what we do, not what we say.
Bill Clinton: Conflict makes good politics, but cooperation works.
Barack Obama: Fundamental American promise: work hard & build better life.
Barack Obama: Being president doesn't change you--it reveals who you are.
Barack Obama: Letters from Americans: This is who we are fighting for.
Martin O`Malley: American dream requires modern investments in middle class.
Barack Obama: No tax breaks for millionaires; GOP always wants tax cuts.
Tom Vilsack: GOP tax cuts & deregulation hurt middle-class families.
Tim Kaine: No budget-busting tax cuts; we can't afford to try it again!
Cory Booker: Businesses realize a return on our infrastructure investment.
Deval Patrick: Don't just talk about it; invest in life sciences & biotech.
Tim Kaine: Invest in communities--infrastructure makes us competitive.
War & Peace|
Barack Obama: End our longest war: out of Afghanistan in 2014.
Deval Patrick: Obama ended war in Iraq & is ending war in Afghanistan.
Tim Kaine: We ended war in Iraq and are ending Afghan war now.
Welfare & Poverty|
Joe Biden: It's not "culture of dependency"; it's acquiring skills.
Bill Clinton: "We're in this together" better than "You're on your own".
The above quotations are from Speeches at the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte NC, Sept. 4-6, 2012.
Republican Conventions and Conferences:
- Republican Party Platform, Aug. 29, 2012
- Republican National Convention, Aug. 28-30, 2012
- Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 12-14, 2011
- Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 18-20, 2010
- Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 27-28, 2009
- Republican National Convention, Sept. 3rd-5th, 2008
- Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 7, 2008
- 2004 Republican Convention, in New York City, Aug. 30-Sept. 2, 2004
Democratic Conventions and Conferences:
- Democratic Party Platform, Sept. 4, 2012
- Democratic National Convention, Sept. 4-6, 2012
- Democratic National Convention, Aug. 26th-Aug. 28th, 2008
- Take Back America Conference, June 18-20 2007
- Take Back America Conference, June 13-15, 2006
- Take Back America Conference, June 2-3, 2005
- Democratic National Convention, July 24-27 2004
- MoveOn questionnaire, June 17, 2003
- Take Back America Conference, June 4-6, 2003