Speeches to Conservative Political Action 2011 Conference
For the second year in a row, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Tex., emerged as the potential presidential candidate that an active group of conservative activists want to see at the top of the Republican ticket in 2012. Paul won this year's Conservative Political Action Conference straw poll by a healthy margin. Mitt Romney won the CPAC straw vote in 2007, 2008 and 2009. 3,742 conference-goers voted in this year's straw poll -- more than twice the number who participated in 2007.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Donald Trump: I am pro-life; I will fight to end Obamacare.
Budget & Economy|
Rand Paul: Debt crisis is approaching a point of no return.
Mitch Daniels: Our "raisin' debt": survival-level threat of red ink.
Mitch Daniels: Parents choose best public school, traditional or charter.
Energy & Oil|
Newt Gingrich: FactCheck: US has 110-year supply of gas, not 1,100 years.
Newt Gingrich: 2008 petition drive: Drill here, Drill now, Pay less.
Newt Gingrich: New nuclear plants would reduce 2 billion tons of CO2 a year.
Mitch Daniels: Drill and frack and lease and license.
Newt Gingrich: Replace EPA with new Environmental Solutions Agency.
Mitt Romney: No European-style solutions to an American problem.
Ron Paul: We invested $70B in Mubarak; stop spending on puppets.
Ron Paul: Exceptionalism shouldn't mean using force around the world.
Tim Pawlenty: America's rightful place is not lagging behind China.
Elena Kagan: Commerce clause does not apply to non-economic activities.
Rand Paul: FactCheck: No, Kagan never she'd regulate vegetable eating.
Tim Pawlenty: Set a record for vetoes in Minnesota's history.
Mitch Daniels: Government should enable private life to flourish.
Mitch Daniels: At OMB, first loud critic of Congressional earmarks.
Paul Ryan: Government should not solve every social problem.
Newt Gingrich: GOP wins election and then loses the government.
Donald Trump: I am against gun control.
Newt Gingrich: Repeal ObamaCare; sign tort reform instead.
Rand Paul: Restrain ObamaCare from using Commerce Clause.
Rick Perry: ObamaCare is a trainwreck of a plan.
Tim Pawlenty: ObamaCare's individual mandate encroaches our freedom.
Rand Paul: Remove waste from last decade's doubling of military budget.
Ron Paul: We can't keep troops in 135 countries & 900 bases forever.
Mitch Daniels: No free pass for national defense in budget cuts.
Rick Perry: Secure the Mexican border against drug cartels.
Mitt Romney: FactCheck: No, fewer US unemployed than Canadians employed.
Mitt Romney: FactCheck: No, more jobs lost under Bush than under Obama.
Newt Gingrich: Number one job today is to create jobs.
Principles & Values|
Herman Cain: Liberals SIN: Shift the subject; Ignore facts; Name-call.
Mitt Romney: Obama Misery Index: record unemployment & bankruptcies.
Rick Perry: Unelected judges shouldn't tell us when & where we can pray.
Tim Pawlenty: Obama might be born in US, but he's from another planet.
Donald Trump: If I run & win, our country will be great again.
Rand Paul: Raise retirement age gradually; allow opting out.
Herman Cain: Attack of the "ations": regulation; legislation, taxation.
Rick Perry: Taxation is not the solution; live within our means instead.
Mitch Daniels: Wrong ever to take an unnecessary dollar from a free citizen.
Mitch Daniels: Untie Gulliver: privatize roads & build without fed rulebook.
The above quotations are from Speeches to Conservative Political Action 2011 Conference.
Republican Conventions and Conferences:
- 2014 Conservative Political Action Conference, March 6-8, 2014
- 2013 Conservative Political Action Conference, March 14-16, 2013
- 2011 Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 12-14, 2011
- 2010 Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 18-20, 2010
- 2009 Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 27-28, 2009
- 2008 Republican National Convention, Sept. 3rd-5th, 2008
- 2008 Conservative Political Action Conference, Feb. 7, 2008
- 2004 Republican Convention, in New York City, Aug. 30-Sept. 2, 2004
Books by Republican contenders for 2016 nomination:
- Immigration Wars, by Jeb Bush, March 5, 2013
- Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power, Jun 5, 2012
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Rand Paul, Feb 22, 2011
- Marco Rubio in An American Son, by Marco Rubio, June 19, 2012
- America By Heart, by Sarah Palin, Nov. 23, 2010
Books by Republican contenders for 2012 nomination:
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal, Nov. 2010
- No Apology, by Gov. Mitt Romney, Mar 2, 2010
- Going Rogue, by Sarah Palin, Nov. 17, 2009
- End The Fed, by Rep. Ron Paul, Sep 16, 2009
- Saving Freedom, by Jim DeMint, July 2009
- Real Change, by Speaker Newt Gingrich, Dec 18, 2007