Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2021 Governor's State of the State speeches
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2021 Governor's State of the State speeches (number of quotes indicated):
- Andrew Cuomo (4) New York Democratic Governor
- Andy Beshear (5) Kentucky Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Asa Hutchinson (6) Arkansas Republican Governor
- Brad Little (8) Idaho Republican
- Charlie Baker (5) Massachusetts Republican Governor
- David Ige (3) Hawaii Democratic Governor
- Doug Burgum (5) North Dakota Republican candidate for Governor
- Doug Ducey (4) Arizona Republican Governor
- Eric Holcomb (7) Indiana Republican candidate for Governor
- Greg Abbott (10) Texas Republican Governor
- Greg Gianforte (5) Montana Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Gretchen Whitmer (3) Michigan Democratic Governor
- Henry McMaster (8) South Carolina Republican
- Jay Inslee (3) Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- John Carney (6) Delaware Democratic candidate for Governor
- Kay Ivey (6) Alabama Republican Alabama Governor
- Kevin Stitt (6) Oklahoma Republican candidate for governor of Oklahoma
- Kim Reynolds (7) Iowa Republican
- Kristi Noem (7) South Dakota Republican
- Larry Hogan (4) Maryland Republican Maryland Governor
- Laura Kelly (5) Kansas Democratic candidate for governor of Kansas
- Michelle Lujan-Grisham (7) New Mexico Democrat
- Mike Dunleavy (8) Alaska Republican candidate for governor of Alaska
- Mike Parson (7) Missouri Republican governor of Missouri
- Ned Lamont (3) Connecticut Democratic Candidate for governor
- Peter Ricketts (5) Nebraska Republican Governor
- Phil Murphy (7) New Jersey Democratic 2021 Gubernatorial contender
- Phil Scott (3) Vermont Republican challenger for Governor
- Ralph Northam (8) Virginia Democratic Governor
- Spencer Cox (3) Utah Republican Gubernatorial Challenger
- Steve Sisolak (4) Nevada Democratic candidate for Nevada Governor
- Tate Reeves (12) Mississippi Republican candidate for governor
- Tony Evers (10) Wisconsin Democratic candidate for governor of Wisconsin
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Greg Abbott: Ensure every child is spared from ravages of abortion.
Kevin Stitt: We'll protect the rights of unborn children.
Greg Gianforte: Urges legislature to pass restrictive abortion laws.
Henry McMaster: Send me the heartbeat bill and I will immediately sign it.
Asa Hutchinson: Now we're the number one pro-life state in the nation.
Kristi Noem: Ban abortion of preborn diagnosed with Down syndrome.
Budget & Economy|
Larry Hogan: COVID: $1 billion in tax relief and economic stimulus.
Kay Ivey: Business tax credits attract new companies to Alabama.
Kay Ivey: Our roads are the arteries of Alabama's commerce.
Mike Parson: Workforce development programs has attracted businesses.
Charlie Baker: Massive transformation of work has wide impact.
John Carney: Proposes fund to convert existing properties for employers.
Eric Holcomb: Infrastructure a priority, complete interstate project.
Steve Sisolak: COVID: Additional $50 million to help small businesses.
Steve Sisolak: Launch State Infrastructure Bank to leverage outside capital.
Tony Evers: $40 million for Rural Innovation Fund.
Henry McMaster: Propose nearly doubling rainy day reserve fund.
Laura Kelly: Funding & assistance to strengthen rural small businesses.
Phil Murphy: COVID: Grants and loans to nearly 55,000 small businesses.
Phil Murphy: Largest investment in infrastructure in New Jersey history.
Andrew Cuomo: COVID: Washington passed the buck without passing the bucks.
Brad Little: $126 million for highways; $80 million for transportation.
Andy Beshear: Better Kentucky Budget: no tax increase, no budget cuts.
Doug Burgum: Investing in infrastructure now will save us millions.
Tate Reeves: Committed to building a more equitable world.
Jay Inslee: We have work ahead to undo racial inequities.
Greg Abbott: Emergency laws to prevent cities from defunding the police.
Kay Ivey: New modern prisons will improve conditions, rehabilitation.
Mike Dunleavy: Ramp up prosecution for sexual crimes and domestic violence.
Mike Parson: Require de-escalation and bias recognition police training.
Charlie Baker: Passed one of the most comprehensive police reform laws.
John Carney: We banned chokeholds, now body cameras for every officer.
Peter Ricketts: Build a new, modern correctional facility.
Tony Evers: As long as I'm governor, we back the blue!
Tony Evers: Reform laws to help victims of sex trafficking.
Henry McMaster: Shield companies providing drugs for lethal injection.
Ralph Northam: It's time to end the death penalty in Virginia.
Asa Hutchinson: Let's not be last state to enact hate crimes legislation.
Jay Inslee: Investigations & prosecutions into racial injustice.
Kim Reynolds: There will be no talk of defunding the police here.
Kim Reynolds: Ban racial profiling and other forms of disparate treatment.
Phil Murphy: Eliminate mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent crimes.
Brad Little: Other places defund the police; Idaho defends the police.
Ralph Northam: Time to join 16 others states, make marijuana legal.
Ned Lamont: Work with legislature on legalization of marijuana.
Larry Hogan: Scholarships for deserving students for non-public schools.
Greg Abbott: Teach students what it means to be American & to be a Texan.
Kay Ivey: $1.25 billion bond for K-12 public schools, state colleges.
Kevin Stitt: Change school funding formula to current enrollment.
Greg Gianforte: More trade education scholarships; more teacher incentives.
Mike Dunleavy: Increase funding for public homeschooling.
Gretchen Whitmer: Our economy demands every child has a great public education.
Gretchen Whitmer: Tuition-free opportunities for COVID front line workers.
John Carney: Double Opportunity Funding for public schools.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Enact an equity-first budget for public education.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Supports tuition-free two-year higher education.
Tate Reeves: Job training lifts people out of poverty, into proud work.
Tate Reeves: Ensure parental choice to save children from bad districts.
David Ige: Maximize school land by building compatible structures.
Spencer Cox: Change the way we fund schools, what's best for entire state.
Tate Reeves: Have invested more than $10 billion in education programs.
Eric Holcomb: Parents deserve options but not at expense of public schools.
Eric Holcomb: Help Hoosiers obtain post-secondary education for jobs.
Steve Sisolak: Dollars follow students, not districts nor schools.
Peter Ricketts: Fully fund aid to K-12 education, invest in next generation.
Tony Evers: COVID: Hold schools harmless for enrollment reductions.
Henry McMaster: $13 million to establish Education Scholarship Accounts.
Henry McMaster: Remove outdated "Common Core" textbooks from classrooms.
Asa Hutchinson: Raise average teacher salaries $2,000 over next two years.
Kim Reynolds: $28 million for public-private partnerships for child care.
Kim Reynolds: Make open enrollment available in all school districts.
Kristi Noem: Schools should teach is US is most special nation in history.
Brad Little: Make sure all students can read by end of third grade.
Doug Ducey: Parents have new options, we should empower them.
Andy Beshear: $1000 salary boost for all school workers.
Andy Beshear: $100 million to repair crumbling public schools.
Phil Scott: Investing in childcare a top priority; address inequities.
Doug Burgum: Expand career/technical academies across the state.
Energy & Oil|
Kevin Stitt: Protect oil and gas industry from radical liberals.
Mike Dunleavy: Harness renewable energy resources: wind, tidal, hydro.
Mike Dunleavy: False premise: protect environment or economic development.
Charlie Baker: Roadmap to reach net zero emissions by 2050.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: New Mexico to have nation's largest single wind complex.
Steve Sisolak: We're poised to lead the world on clean energy storage.
Doug Burgum: Clean coal will allow us to shape global energy policy.
Gretchen Whitmer: It's time to rebuild Michigan's water infrastructure.
John Carney: $50 million investment in new Clean Water Trust Fund.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: State recovered over $1 million from corporate polluters.
Eric Holcomb: Investing in community trails, planting a million new trees.
Brad Little: Wildfires are about land management, not climate change.
Families & Children|
Mike Parson: Consolidate several programs into new Office of Childhood.
Ralph Northam: Fund doula services for pregnant women.
Phil Murphy: Make New Jersey safest place to deliver and raise babies.
Phil Murphy: Committed to more robust child-care support system.
Laura Kelly: First Democratic governor for US/Canada/Mexico trade deal.
Greg Abbott: Election integrity essential to our democracy.
Kevin Stitt: Government's job is to get out of the way & cut red tape.
Greg Gianforte: Red Tape Relief Task Force to review all regulations.
Mike Dunleavy: Strengthen agricultural sector with fewer regulations.
John Carney: Make mail-in voting a permanent feature of our elections.
Tate Reeves: Will advocate for Oregon's voting innovations nationally.
Henry McMaster: Magistrate judges should be lawyers, publicly screened.
Ralph Northam: $12 million into natural resources agencies.
Ralph Northam: Amend constitution so that ex-cons can vote automatically.
Tony Evers: Fixing broken unemployment system is a priority.
Tony Evers: End gerrymandering, stop legislature from destroying records.
Brad Little: Idaho is now the least regulated state in the nation.
Ned Lamont: Easier absentee ballots, early voting should be permanent.
Doug Burgum: One-stop reporting for hazardous spills helps state respond.
Greg Abbott: Texas must be a Second Amendment Sanctuary State.
Greg Abbott: We must focus on mental health challenges.
Greg Abbott: Ensure coverage without being forced into the ObamaCare.
Kevin Stitt: Use managed care to operate Medicaid expansion.
Mike Parson: Will expand Medicaid but be vigilant against fraud and waste.
Charlie Baker: Emergency telehealth order worked, now it's permanent.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Mental health care is health care, we must meet those needs.
Tate Reeves: Ensure everyone has access to affordable health care.
Eric Holcomb: Now is the time to implement a managed care system.
Tony Evers: Fund state alternatives to ObamaCare.
Kim Reynolds: $30 million over two years to fund mental health reform.
Kristi Noem: Make pandemic rules for telehealth permanent.
Andrew Cuomo: Telehealth invaluable, but must ensure accessibility to all.
Brad Little: Expanded telehealth access, let's make changes permanent.
Doug Ducey: Once we're all vaccinated we can get on with life.
Andy Beshear: COVID: Troubling that a public health crisis was politicized.
Phil Scott: Time to cap annual increases, prioritize prevention.
Peter Ricketts: Working to bring Space Command to the Heartland.
Kristi Noem: Tax exemptions for veterans with disabilities.
Andy Beshear: Full exclusion of military pensions from state income tax.
Greg Abbott: Texas must fortify its efforts to secure our border.
Greg Gianforte: Ban sanctuary cities in Montana to maintain rule of law.
Mike Dunleavy: Bring gaming to Alaska: create hundreds of high-paying jobs.
Mike Parson: Expand programs to link high school graduates with jobs.
Spencer Cox: Funding for job training, not everyone needs a degree.
Eric Holcomb: Pass pregnancy accommodations bill for women on the job.
Peter Ricketts: We've been cutting red tape to keep Nebraskans working.
Laura Kelly: Rebuilding crumbling infrastructure means jobs.
Kevin Stitt: Must address state sovereignty over tribal land & peoples.
Tate Reeves: Invest in emergency management to prepare for fire seasons.
Principles & Values|
Greg Abbott: Prevent government from shutting churches during pandemic.
Mike Dunleavy: Alaskans are a different breed: we don't run and hide.
Charlie Baker: More important to ask questions than be judgmental.
Tate Reeves: We're all on the same team, made in the image of God.
Spencer Cox: We are friends; we must always be friends.
Henry McMaster: COVID: We slowed down, but safely remained open.
Laura Kelly: Leaders must set an example that we share a common bond.
Ralph Northam: Voters deserve the truth, even when it's hard to hear.
Asa Hutchinson: When the election is over we need to come together.
Kristi Noem: COVID: no shutdowns, we stayed open the entire time.
Phil Murphy: New Jerseyans need to know government has their backs.
Brad Little: Our statehouse demonstrates openness of political process.
Doug Ducey: Condemns violence & destructive rioting at US Capitol.
Ned Lamont: Important to reset relationships with regional states.
Larry Hogan: $1 billion+ in tax cuts for every single retired Marylander.
Larry Hogan: Not a single tax increase since I was elected governor.
Kay Ivey: Online sales tax means no need for raising income tax.
Greg Gianforte: Lowering top tax rate will make Montana more competitive.
Mike Dunleavy: Any new broad-base tax must be approved by Alaska people.
Mike Parson: For lower taxes, but online retailers hurt local business.
Tate Reeves: We need a bold move: elimination of the income tax.
Tony Evers: Incentivize in-state pharmaceutical, medical equipment.
Henry McMaster: 15% across-the-board reduction for all personal brackets.
Asa Hutchinson: Lower tax rate for new residents to 4.9% for five years.
Jay Inslee: Reduce increases in unemployment tax.
Kim Reynolds: We need to continue the conversation about cutting taxes.
Kristi Noem: The taxes we have are stable and predictable, no increases.
Andrew Cuomo: COVID: Raise taxes on the wealthy to help states.
Brad Little: Proposes the single largest tax cuts in Idaho history.
Doug Ducey: Haven't raised taxes, on tax reform let's think big.
Phil Scott: Reduce unemployment payroll tax without impacting benefits.
Greg Abbott: Broadband not a luxury; it's an essential tool.
Kay Ivey: $500 million investment over three years to expand broadband.
Mike Parson: $5 million investment to expand and improve broadband.
John Carney: Provided 25,000 low-income students with internet access.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: $200 million for high-speed internet is urgently needed.
David Ige: Hawai'i 2.0: we must pivot to a digital economy.
Tate Reeves: $100 million in statewide broadband expansion.
Tate Reeves: Broadband expansion could mend the urban rural divide.
Eric Holcomb: Additional $100 million to boost broadband connectivity.
Peter Ricketts: Bring broadband coverage to every corner of the state.
Tony Evers: Ongoing investment in rural broadband expansion.
Laura Kelly: Established Kansas's Office of Broadband Development.
Ralph Northam: Broadband is as critical now as electricity in 1900s.
Asa Hutchinson: $30 million to expand high-speed internet into rural areas.
Kim Reynolds: $450 million for statewide high-speed broadband by 2025.
Kristi Noem: Finish connecting the state with broadband.
Phil Murphy: We're closing the digital divide for schoolchildren.
Tony Evers: Declares 2021 to be Year of Broadband Access.
Andrew Cuomo: Broadband internet must be accessible and affordable.
Doug Burgum: Essential to invest in protecting the data of our citizens.
Welfare & Poverty|
David Ige: Affordable housing: 10,000 homes built, 3000 more by 2022.
Tate Reeves: $250 million investment in affordable housing.
Ralph Northam: $25 million new dollars to housing trust fund.
The above quotations are from 2021 Governor's State of the State speeches.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2021 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2020 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2020 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2019 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2019 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2018 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2018 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: