Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Michigan Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 MI Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Abdul El-Sayed (15) Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
- Bill Schuette (37) Michigan Republican candidate for governor of Michigan
- Gretchen Whitmer (23) Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Michigan 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- The Detroit News, "Schuette embraces career experience as benefit," by Beth LeBlanc, July 25, 2018
- Detroit Free Press, "Civil rights commission rejects AG opinion on LGBT discrimination," by David Eggert, July 23, 2018
- MichiganRadio.org , "Schuette�s record on pollution under fire," by Lester Graham & Jim Malewitz, June 18, 2018
- MichiganRadio.org, "Checking in with the 2018 gubernatorial candidates: Bill Schuette," by Sophie Sherry, May 24, 2018
- Holland Sentinel, "A clear choice on tax cuts," by Bill Schuette, May 28, 2018
- BridgeMI.com, "Michigan governor candidates� infrastructure policies," by Lindsay VanHulle, March 6, 2018
- The Nation, "El-Sayed would be the first Muslim-American governor in US history," by David Dayen, January 29, 2018
- Rewire News, "Candidate Vows to �Hold the Line' Against Anti-Choice Onslaught," by Ally Boguhn, Nov 1, 2017
- Mining Journal, "Gubernatorial candidate holds town hall meeting," by Mary Wardell, Oct 10, 2017
- Detroit Free Press, "Schuette shows support for Trump's immigration ban," by Robert Allen, January 31, 2017
- WWMT-Newschannel-3, "One on one with gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer," January 24 2017
- Lansing State Journal coverage of Gubernatorial race, 1/3/2017
- Detroit News, "Detroit health director set to make bid for governor," by Christine Ferretti, Feb. 9, 2017
- Detroit News, "Ex-Detroit health chief starts bid for Mich. governor," by Jennifer Chambers, Feb. 25, 2017
- Detroit Free Press, "Schuette sues companies in Flint water crisis," by Matthew Dolan and Paul Egan, June 22, 2016
- Detroit News, "PAC ad knocks Schuette for opposing clean energy plan," by Jim Lynch, November 6, 2015
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Bill Schuette: Enforce prohibitions on abortion; de-fund Planned Parenthood.
Gretchen Whitmer: End 24-hour waiting period; fund Planned Parenthood.
Bill Schuette: Supports the rights of the unborn.
Gretchen Whitmer: Will stop anti-choice legislation.
Gretchen Whitmer: No insurance riders to get an abortion covered.
Budget & Economy|
Bill Schuette: Make better jobs cutting taxes, regulations and wastefulness.
Gretchen Whitmer: Most important metric is rising family income.
Bill Schuette: Gay marriage ban was simply recognition that biology matters.
Gretchen Whitmer: 2013: repeal Michigan's same-sex marriage ban.
Bill Schuette: Include LGBT gender identity in laws against discrimination.
Abdul El-Sayed: Sensitive to women's rights and transgender people's rights.
Gretchen Whitmer: Shift tax burden to corporations.
Bill Schuette: Prosecute 17-year-olds as adults.
Gretchen Whitmer: Prioritize rehabilitation efforts for first-time offenders.
Bill Schuette: History of getting justice for rape victims.
Abdul El-Sayed: Move from prison to productive citizenship.
Gretchen Whitmer: Cleaned up County Prosecutor office after a sex scandal.
Bill Schuette: Led campaign against medical marijuana in 2008.
Gretchen Whitmer: Supports marijuana legalization for adult recreational use.
Bill Schuette: The opioid epidemic cannot be solved with just arresting.
Abdul El-Sayed: End marijuana prohibition; tax it and regulate it.
Bill Schuette: Grade schools A-F, with performance-based grants.
Bill Schuette: Support more trade & vocational offerings.
Gretchen Whitmer: Opposes vouchers: Stop the dismantling of public education.
Gretchen Whitmer: 2 years of debt-free post-secondary education.
Bill Schuette: Give parents more choices for their kids' education.
Bill Schuette: Advocate of partnerships between schools and companies.
Energy & Oil|
Gretchen Whitmer: Oppose withdrawal from Paris Climate Accord.
Bill Schuette: Joins lawsuit challenging Obama's Clean Power Plan.
Abdul El-Sayed: Electric user fee raises $3.3B for clean energy in 15 years.
Bill Schuette: Opposes burdensome EPA regulations.
Bill Schuette: Charged 15 city and state officials for Flint water crisis.
Bill Schuette: Opposing EPA regulations earns him polluter protector label.
Abdul El-Sayed: Advocate for environmental justice on lead exposure.
Bill Schuette: Sue firms that caused Flint drinking water crisis.
Families & Children|
Abdul El-Sayed: Invest in Detroit to keep millennials in Michigan.
Bill Schuette: Supports tariffs on China, to get a better deal.
Gretchen Whitmer: Renegotiate trade deals, but no tariffs on China.
Bill Schuette: Opposes ballot initative 2 (gerrymandered districts ok).
Bill Schuette: Oppose disclosure for who paid for political ads.
Gretchen Whitmer: Opposes gerrymandering; opposes voter ID.
Gretchen Whitmer: Disclose political donors; reverse Citizens United.
Bill Schuette: Terminate government pensions for those caught embezzling.
Bill Schuette: Wants tax returns released from all top elected officials.
Abdul El-Sayed: Fundamental right to be heard at the ballot box.
Bill Schuette: Repeal restrictions on guns, including semi-automatics.
Gretchen Whitmer: Universal background checks; ban assault-style weapons.
Bill Schuette: Proud protector of the 2nd Amendment, NRA rates him "A".
Abdul El-Sayed: No gun possession for convicted domestic abusers.
Abdul El-Sayed: Take on the corporate gun lobby; enough is enough.
Bill Schuette: Replace ObamaCare with private insurance.
Gretchen Whitmer: No work requirements for Medicaid; expand it instead.
Bill Schuette: End Medicaid expansion and put in work requirement.
Abdul El-Sayed: Public health suffers when you run government as a business.
Bill Schuette: Provided two new legal resources for all members of military.
Bill Schuette: Joined 2016 lawsuit to block DACA expansion.
Gretchen Whitmer: Protect DREAMers from deportation; offer path to citizenship.
Abdul El-Sayed: Biracial families like mine inspire more diverse government.
Abdul El-Sayed: People who look like me are not sitting on the sidelines.
Bill Schuette: It isn't a ban on Muslims; Trump puts security first.
Bill Schuette: Supports right-to-work law as a great victory.
Bill Schuette: Opposes prevailing wage law.
Gretchen Whitmer: Repeal "right-ro-work" law (support union organizing).
Gretchen Whitmer: Increase minimum wage to $15/hour over three years.
Principles & Values|
Bill Schuette: Served 3 terms in Congress & then as state Attorney General.
Bill Schuette: Cut taxes and make Michigan a growth state.
Gretchen Whitmer: Trump tax cuts help only millionaires & billionaires.
Bill Schuette: Signed pledge to oppose any tax increase.
Abdul El-Sayed: Limit tax foreclosures for over-assessed Detroit properties.
Gretchen Whitmer: Expand broadband with net neutrality.
Abdul El-Sayed: We need $4B per year for Pure Michigan Infrastructure Bank.
Bill Schuette: Invest in infrastructure but vows to lower taxes.
Gretchen Whitmer: We need $3B per year for inadequate infrastructure.
Welfare & Poverty|
Bill Schuette: Welfare must balance hand up aid with helping able find work.
Abdul El-Sayed: Economic well-being means helping those less privileged.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Abdul El-Sayed Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
- Bill Schuette Michigan Republican candidate for governor of Michigan
- Gretchen Whitmer Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
The above quotations are from 2018 Michigan Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)