Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
VoteSmart synopsis of 2011-2012 legislative records
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from VoteSmart 2011-2012 legislative records (number of quotes indicated):
- Carlos Lopez-Cantera (1) Republican Senate Challenger Florida
- Deborah Ross (5) Democratic Senate candidate North Carolina
- Jamie Raskin (3) Democrat U.S. Rep Maryland- 8
- Jason Kander (1) Democratic Senate candidate Missouri
- Joe Carr (1) Republican Challenger Tennessee
- John Carroll (12) Hawaii Republican candidate for governor of Hawaii
- Kathy Szeliga (3) Republican Senate candidate Maryland
- Richard Madaleno (3) Maryland Democratic candidate for governor of Maryland
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
- Project Vote-Smart surveys state legislative records and summarizes bill sponsorships and votes.
- OnTheIssues does the same thing from federal legislative records, by reading the Congressional Record (available through the Library of Congress online.)
- OnTheIssues sometimes reads state legislative records (for the few states that post their House and Senate journals online) and sometimes relies on VoteSmart (who use the more readily-available printed version).
- In both cases, the summaries are intended to be non-biased politically: a description of the bill, rather than an analysis of its effect.
- OnTheIssues also adds Pro and Con opinions on federal legislation, from proponents and opponents of each bill in the legislature or in private organizations.
- Generally, Pro and Con opinions are not available for most state legislation, so VoteSmart sticks to just summaries.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
John Carroll: No abortion after the baby can recognize pain.
John Carroll: Opposes same-sex marriage, but 14th Amendment trumps that.
Jamie Raskin: Voted YES on state authorization of same-sex marriage.
Kathy Szeliga: Voted NO on state authorization of same-sex marriage.
Richard Madaleno: Voted YES on state authorization of same-sex marriage.
Deborah Ross: Voted NO on a constitutional amendment to define marriage.
John Carroll: Opposes capital punishment.
Deborah Ross: Allow statistical race evidence in death penalty cases.
Jason Kander: Expand charter schools, plus more sponsorship options.
Carlos Lopez-Cantera: Allow non-compulsory student-led prayer in school.
Energy & Oil|
John Carroll: Humans change climate, but don' regulate greenhouse gases.
Deborah Ross: Voted NO on horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracking.
Joe Carr: Rated 40% on voting record by Tennessee Conservation Voters.
John Carroll: Capture terrorists for trial, but no assassinations.
John Carroll: I believe in Free Trade and a balanced budget.
John Carroll: Don't regulate campaign contributions; they're free speech.
Deborah Ross: Voted NO on shortening early voting period.
Deborah Ross: Voted NO on concealed carry in restaurants and state parks.
John Carroll: Don't mandate insurance, but don't repeal ObamaCare.
Jamie Raskin: Voted YES on establishing an ObamaCare healthcare exchange.
Kathy Szeliga: Voted NO on establishing an ObamaCare healthcare exchange.
Richard Madaleno: Voted YES on establishing an ObamaCare healthcare exchange.
John Carroll: Maintain our Premier national Defense Posture.
John Carroll: Require undocumented adults to return home, but not children.
Kathy Szeliga: Voted NO on in-state tuition for undocumented immigrant.
Jamie Raskin: Voted YES on in-state tuition for undocumented immigrant.
Richard Madaleno: Voted YES on in-state tuition for undocumented immigrant.
John Carroll: Allow personal retirement accounts.
War & Peace|
John Carroll: We should have declared Afghan War; but no timetable.
The above quotations are from VoteSmart synopsis of 2011-2012 legislative records.