Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit, by Al Gore
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 34 full quotes from Al Gore in the book Earth in the Balance.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Energy & Oil|
The effects of global warming on polar ice are significant.
Global warming is a strategic threat.
Global Marshall Plan must include the First and Third worlds.
Global Marshall Plan: Five strategic goals.
Global Warming is a clear & present threat; but preventable.
Kyoto goals are an indispensable first step.
Our beaches mirror the degradation of the environment.
America is not responding to environmental danger signals.
Half of all American waters are polluted.
If we do nothing else, save the rain forest.
Americans generate too much waste.
Industrialism has led to tremendous waste and pollution.
In the U.S., chemicals constitute most hazardous waste.
The US should lead the global environmental movement.
Environmentalism can only thrive where democracy thrives.
Calculate environmental impact when measuring profit.
Economics does not account for the cost of consumption.
Internal combustion engines interfere with earth’s cleansing.
Civilization and the earth are increasingly in conflict.
The world must unite to save the environment.
Every individual should take responsibility for the earth.
A balance between civilization and the earth is needed.
Welcomes criticism as “too environmental”.
Ozone protection is working; keep up diligence.
Big Lie: good environment is bad economics.
Strengthen CAA; polluters pay for air cleanup.
Replacing internal combustion is possible & will create jobs.
Politicians address immediate problems, not long-term ones.
Our leaders are ignoring the threat to the environment.
Polls and technology dominate politics, not substance.
Global warming will cause Third World flight to the West.
More bio-energy means less greenhouse emissions & more jobs.
Principles & Values|
Earth in the Balance is a call to action and hope.
Promote $500B market for energy technology.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Al Gore
The above quotations are from Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit, by Al Gore.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- Al Gore's main page
- Tipper Gore
- Bill Clinton
Books by Al Gore:
- Earth in the Balance, by Al Gore
- Inventing Al Gore, by Bill Turque
- Common Sense Government, by Al Gore
- Medicare at a Crossroads, Gore's Health Care Plan
- Gore's 191-page Economic Plan
Debates with George W. Bush (presidential race, 2000):
- Presidential debate, Boston Mass.
- Presidential debate, Washington U., St. Louis MO
- Presidential debate, Wake Forest U., Winston-Salem NC
- NACHRI Survey: Iowa Children's Hospital issues
Debates with Bill Bradley (Democratic primary, 1999-2000):
- Primary Debate at Dartmouth University
- Democrat Debate in Des Moines, Iowa
- Democrat Debate at UNH-Durham
- Democrat Debate in the Apollo Theater in Harlem
- Democrat Debate in Johnston Iowa
- Democrat debate in Los Angeles, California
- Democrat Debate in Manchester, NH
- Democrat Debate in Nashua NH
Page last edited: Apr 16, 2013