Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2010 Governor's State of the State speeches
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2010 Governor's State of the State speeches (number of quotes indicated):
- Arnold Schwarzenegger (6) California Former Republican Governor (2003-2010)
- Bill Richardson (5) New Mexico Former Democratic Governor (2002-2010) and Cabinet Sec'y
- Bob McDonnell (3) Virginia Republican Governor
- Brad Henry (5) Oklahoma Previously Democratic Governor
- Dave Freudenthal (8) Wyoming Former Democratic Governor (2002-2010)
- David Paterson (4) New York Former Democratic Governor (2008-2010)
- Deval Patrick (2) Massachusetts Democratic Governor
- Donald Carcieri (9) Rhode Island Previous Republican Governor
- Ed Rendell (7) Pennsylvania Former Democratic Governor (2002-2010)
- Gary Herbert (8) Utah Republican Governor
- Jan Brewer (8) Arizona Republican Governor
- Jim Gibbons (5) Nevada Former Republican Governor (2006-2010)
- Joe Manchin III (5) West Virginia Former Democratic Governor (Until 2010)
- Mark Parkinson (7) Kansas Former Democratic Governor (2009-2010)
- Mark Sanford (3) South Carolina Former Republican Governor (2002-2010)
- Mitch Daniels (4) Indiana Former Republican Governor (2005-2013)
- Pat Quinn (14) Illinois Democratic Governor
- Phil Bredesen (3) Tennessee Former Democrat Governor (2002-2010)
- Sean Parnell (10) Alaska Republican Governor
- Sonny Perdue (3) Georgia USDA Secretary
- Tim Pawlenty (3) Minnesota Republican challenger and previous Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Dave Freudenthal: Remain fiscally conservative without dipping into savings.
Brad Henry: Increase the Rainy Day Fund from 10% to 15% of revenue.
Phil Bredesen: Adjust our expenses to match our income, like family budget.
Donald Carcieri: We cannot sustain the present level of spending.
Deval Patrick: Closed $9 billion budget gap.
Sean Parnell: Enforce budget discipline and invest for our future.
Bill Richardson: Hiring freeze & 7% budget cut in state agencies.
Joe Manchin III: CAREFULLY plan stimulus: in planning mode; not panic mode.
Jan Brewer: $5B budget deficit is wrong; right is doing the hard things.
Mark Parkinson: Constitutionally require set-aside for emergency fund.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: Painful spending cuts & temporary tax increases were needed.
David Paterson: Enforce spending cap, even by constitutional amendment.
Bill Richardson: Extend Domestic Partnership rights as anti-discrimination.
Mark Parkinson: Embrace diversity rather than rejecting new citizens.
David Paterson: Increased MWBE state contract participation from 4% to 24%.
Tim Pawlenty: Reduce business tax from 3rd highest corporate tax rate.
Ed Rendell: We have grown our economy by cutting business taxes.
Donald Carcieri: Regulatory Review Task Force to reclaim business revolution.
Mark Sanford: Cut corporate income tax by raising cigarette tax.
David Paterson: Replace failed Empire Zone program with Excelsior Program.
Ed Rendell: Fund education well, and we can cut incarceration costs.
Dave Freudenthal: $50M for separate facilities for juveniles.
Sean Parnell: Fill public safety officer & trooper vacancies.
Joe Manchin III: Accelerated parole system for non-violent offenders.
Pat Quinn: Alternative sentencing for low-level non-violent offenders.
Pat Quinn: Sold unused state prison to federal prison agency.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: Allow private prisons to compete, to spend less on prisons.
Brad Henry: Invest in drug courts: put low-risk offenders on better path.
Dave Freudenthal: Base cuts on valuation of projects, & keep building schools.
Jim Gibbons: Empower local school boards and parents.
Jim Gibbons: End cookie-cutter approach & end union influence.
Brad Henry: Don't siphon resources from our classrooms.
Phil Bredesen: New reforms: student achievement to evaluate teacher.
Donald Carcieri: Strong advocate of expanding Charter Schools.
Gary Herbert: Continue to increase funding for public schools.
Sean Parnell: Performance Scholarship: fund tuition for good H.S. grades.
Mitch Daniels: Lift backward-looking limits on charter schools.
Joe Manchin III: $540 million in ongoing school construction.
Pat Quinn: Race to the Top: Invest in elementary & secondary education.
Sonny Perdue: Tie teacher pay to student achievement.
Jan Brewer: We lead in school choice: district, private, or charter.
Mark Parkinson: World-class public school system is investment in future.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: Until now, children were trapped in low-performing schools.
Energy & Oil|
Ed Rendell: 18% of retail electricity from clean and renewable resources.
Ed Rendell: Focus on win-win efforts: stem global warming & create jobs.
Dave Freudenthal: We have doubled the take-away capacity of natural gas.
Jim Gibbons: Build facilities to generate solar, wind & geothermal power.
Donald Carcieri: Make R.I. the leader in development of offshore wind power.
Gary Herbert: Develop natural gas resources while protecting local culture.
Gary Herbert: No importation of foreign nuclear waste into Utah.
Sean Parnell: Strike balance between ocean protection and oil production.
Sean Parnell: Outer Continental Shelf will create 35,000 jobs and $72B.
Bill Richardson: Green Jobs Cabinet: lead renewable energy export.
Mitch Daniels: Make IN a leader in electric vehicles & solar power industry.
Joe Manchin III: Stand up for our coal miners and their families.
Pat Quinn: $400M for IL as center of Midwestern high-speed rail network.
Pat Quinn: Invest in both clean coal and wind power.
Jan Brewer: Bring top solar manufacturers to Arizona with tax incentives.
Mark Parkinson: Bring wind farms and green jobs to Kansas.
Dave Freudenthal: One year moratorium on eminent domain for wind power-lines.
Sean Parnell: Feds misuse ESA listings to delay resource development.
Pat Quinn: Leave no child inside.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: $11B for water bonds to invest in future water flow.
Families & Children|
Mitch Daniels: Nothing more contemptible than failing to pay child support.
Bob McDonnell: Compete more vigorously to attract jobs from abroad.
Mark Parkinson: Export planes, energy, & wheat to China, India, & Brazil.
Jim Gibbons: 6% salary reductions for all state workers.
Donald Carcieri: Reduce our reliance on government.
Gary Herbert: Commission to Optimize State Government: do more with less.
Gary Herbert: Guidelines on gifts, lobbying, & conflicts of interest.
Mark Sanford: End unlimited and undisclosed campaign donations.
Mark Sanford: Change rules of governorship and state officers.
Bill Richardson: Whistleblower protections, & ban corporate donations.
Joe Manchin III: Public financing pilot for state Supreme Court races.
Pat Quinn: Limits on campaign contributions and much more disclosure.
Sonny Perdue: Make government more responsive, efficient, & value-driven.
David Paterson: Comprehensive ethics reform about what is legal and rampant.
Dave Freudenthal: Health reform is not creeping socialism; let's try a pilot.
Brad Henry: Insure Oklahoma program: coverage for many more Oklahomans.
Gary Herbert: Increase transparency, access, and choice.
Sean Parnell: Federal health care legislation diminishes our freedom.
Pat Quinn: Independent review of denial of care by insurance companies.
Pat Quinn: Allow women of color & low-income access to mammograms.
Sonny Perdue: $70M for moral obligation to serve those with disabilities.
Jan Brewer: We don't want federal help; sue to remain independent.
Mark Parkinson: Enact a real public smoking ban.
Dave Freudenthal: $1.9M for Military Assistance Trust Fund.
Donald Carcieri: Gratitude to armed forces for defending our freedoms.
Gary Herbert: Pay tribute to those answering the nation's call to serve.
Sean Parnell: Revenue bonds for Veteran's Housing Loan Program.
Pat Quinn: Supports the Illinois Military Family Relief Trust Fund.
Jan Brewer: Name Arizona as training site for F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
Jan Brewer: Feds refuse to pay for costs of illegal immigration.
Tim Pawlenty: Jobs Creation Bill: R&D tax credit; 20% corporate tax cut.
Ed Rendell: Pass Work Sharing legislation: part-time unemployment.
Donald Carcieri: Americans' top priority: put people back to work.
Pat Quinn: I want to be the "Building Governor".
Jan Brewer: Governor's Jobs Cabinet: un-shackle job creators.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: $500M jobs package, plus $10K homebuyer tax credits.
Deval Patrick: Saved $250M by abolishing the Turnpike Authority.
Principles & Values|
Bob McDonnell: Create a Commonwealth of Opportunity for all Virginians.
Dave Freudenthal: $48M for state retirement fund, but employees must pay more.
Tim Pawlenty: Get Minnesota out of the top ten states in taxes.
Ed Rendell: Eliminate 74 exemptions & reduce sales tax from 6% to 4%.
Jim Gibbons: No new taxes and no expansion of state government.
Donald Carcieri: Property tax increases can be avoided.
Gary Herbert: Don't stifle citizens & businesses with new tax burdens.
Sean Parnell: Suspend the state motor fuel tax since we have enough money.
Bill Richardson: Any tax increase must expire in 3 years or less.
Mitch Daniels: Raising taxes is the worst thing possible in a recession.
Bob McDonnell: I will veto any bill or budget which raises taxes.
Pat Quinn: Shift from property tax to taxing ability to pay.
Jan Brewer: Increase tax revenue now; pro-growth tax cuts later.
Mark Parkinson: Raise cigarette and sales tax to meet $400M budget gap.
Arnold Schwarzenegger: Our economy is 21st century & our tax system is 20th century.
Brad Henry: Biotech and nanotech startups transform our lives.
Phil Bredesen: Memphis Research Consortium: life science research center.
Donald Carcieri: The new I-Way connects life-science academics with research.
Sean Parnell: $500M capital budget for 5-year infrastructure plan.
Pat Quinn: Ban texting while driving.
Welfare & Poverty|
Ed Rendell: Cut waste & fraud in welfare & food stamps.
Pat Quinn: Maintain human services even during the Great Recession.
The above quotations are from 2010 Governor's State of the State speeches.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2019 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2019 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2018 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2018 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: