Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 West Virginia Senate race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 WV Senate race (number of quotes indicated):
- Don Blankenship (12) Republican candidate for West Virginia U. S. Senator West Virginia
- Evan Jenkins (4) Republican candidate for West Virginia U.S. Senator West Virginia
- Joe Manchin III (16) West Virginia Former Democratic Governor (Until 2010)
- Patrick Morrisey (26) Republican candidate for West Virginia U.S. Senator West Virginia
- Paula Jean Swearengin (20) Democratic candidate for West Virginia U. S. Senator West Virginia
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
West Virginia 2018 Senatorial debates and race coverage:
- NPR.org, �Blankenship Says He's 'Trumpier Than Trump',� by Don Gonyea, May 8, 2018
- Huffington Post, "GOP Senate Candidate: 'Chinaperson' Isn't Racist," by Marina Fang, 5/02/2018
- CNN, "Blankenship says McConnell has conflicts of interest because father-in-law is 'wealthy Chinaperson'," by Eric Bradner, April 25, 2018
- Politico.com, "GOP launches secret group to attack coal baron," by Alex Isenstadt, 4/15/2018
- The Herald-Dispatch, "U.S. Senate candidate: Paula Jean Swearengin (D)," Mar 27, 2018
- New York Times, "Putting the Ex-Con in Conservatism," by Paul Krugman, March 26, 2018
- Politico.com, "GOP fears another potential electoral disaster," by Alex Isenstadt, March 20, 2018
- TheDAOnline.com, "Blankenship suggests drug tests and grading system for teachers, by Douglas Soule, March 2, 2018
- Mineral Daily News Tribune, "AG announces second Kids Kick Opioids contest", Feb 16, 2018
- Parkersburg News and Sentinel, "Morrisey files to join Senate race," by Jess Mancini, Jan 26, 2018
- Washington Times, "Senate Conservatives Fund backs Morrisey," by Seth McLaughlin, January 24, 2018
- MetroNews, "Blankenship gets US Senate campaign underway," by Alex Thomas, January 18, 2018
- Washington Times, "Controversial former coal titan in bid to clear name," by Ben Wolfgang, January 1, 2018
- US News & World Report, "Attorney General Transfers $1M to State Police," Oct. 3, 2017
- The New Republic, "Q&A with Paula Swearengin", by Sarah Jones, May 19, 2017
- The Register-Herald, "Q & A with Evan Jenkins," by Sarah Plummer, Oct 27, 2016
- Charleston Gazette-Mail, "Capito says elections aren't rigged," by Andrew Brown, Oct 17, 2016
- CBS News, "AG's past work with drug companies questioned," by Jim Axelrod & Ashley Velie, June 2, 2016
- W.V. Metro News, "Same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states," by Carrie Hodousek, June 26, 2015
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Joe Manchin III: Prohibit abortions after 20 weeks; prohibit public funding.
Patrick Morrisey: Overturn Roe v Wade; stop the pro-abortion agenda.
Don Blankenship: AdWatch: Positions himself as anti-abortion and pro-Trump.
Patrick Morrisey: Overturn Roe v. Wade.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Pro-choice, including abortion alternatives.
Budget & Economy|
Don Blankenship: Republican control will eventually improve state economy.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Create investment banks that will create jobs.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Worrying about somebody's sexuality is just ridiculous.
Patrick Morrisey: Disappointed with gay marriage legalization.
Don Blankenship: Past criminal conviction not a barrier to running for office.
Patrick Morrisey: More funding, more equipment, more hiring for state police.
Patrick Morrisey: Tougher sentences for drug kingpins.
Paula Jean Swearengin: End mandatory minimum sentencing.
Evan Jenkins: Tough on crime, but open to reforms.
Don Blankenship: Mandatory drug testing for all teachers.
Patrick Morrisey: Fight opioid epidemic with criminal prosecutions & education.
Paula Jean Swearengin: End the wasteful, harmful, war on drugs.
Patrick Morrisey: Opioids: we're losing a generation of people to despair.
Joe Manchin III: Limit student loan repayment to 15% of income.
Joe Manchin III: Vouchers pull resources from schools that need them most.
Don Blankenship: Teachers should be graded and denied raises if sub-standard.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Free college or trade school to all qualified students.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Ensure adequate funding; encourage best practices.
Energy & Oil|
Joe Manchin III: No one is going to stop using fossil fuels for a long time.
Patrick Morrisey: Led states suing to overturn Obama Clean Power Plan.
Patrick Morrisey: Fought against clean power rules.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Need to invest in renewable energy now.
Evan Jenkins: I'm fighting for coal by reducing EPA regulatory burdens.
Don Blankenship: AdWatch: Year in prison for contaminating drinking water.
Patrick Morrisey: EPA exceeds its authority on Clean Water & Cross-State Air.
Don Blankenship: EPA is biggest polluter,moving jobs to unregulated countries.
Don Blankenship: AdWatch: role of MSHA in mine disaster was covered up.
Patrick Morrisey: Led coalition against "Clean Power Plan".
Families & Children|
Joe Manchin III: Opposes gay marriage personally, but accepts as settled law.
Patrick Morrisey: Disappointed with legalization of gay marriage.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Make 6 months of family leave available to all parents.
Don Blankenship: Soft on China if one is related to a "Chinaperson".
Don Blankenship: Double headline - Already Done.
Patrick Morrisey: America must assert its interests.
Joe Manchin III: Supports tariffs on China; trade hasn't been good for WV.
Patrick Morrisey: Supports tariffs on China to gain negotiating leverage.
Joe Manchin III: Citizens United decision has destroyed this country.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Upgrade equipment to safeguard elections.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Cut regulations favoring big businesses.
Evan Jenkins: Important to keep information secure.
Joe Manchin III: Background checks ok; not no ban on semi-automatic weapons.
Patrick Morrisey: Keep Washington liberal gun grabbers off our guns.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Common-sense gun regulations & background checks.
Patrick Morrisey: Fights the "gun grabbers".
Joe Manchin III: Unacceptable to go back to pre-ObamaCare days.
Patrick Morrisey: Sued to end coverage of preexisting conditions.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Medicare for all as part of insurance free market.
Patrick Morrisey: Was lobbyist for pharmaceutical distributors; wife still is.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Rein in our bloated military budget.
Joe Manchin III: Give DREAMers a path to citizenship.
Patrick Morrisey: Lax immigration laws pose a security risk to our homeland.
Patrick Morrisey: Aggressive efforts against illegal immigration.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Create swift, secure path to citizenship.
Joe Manchin III: Raise minimum wage from $7.25/hr to $10.10.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Raise minimum wage; tie rate to inflation.
Principles & Values|
Don Blankenship: I'm Trumpier than Trump, despite Trump opposition.
Evan Jenkins: A proud ally of our president Trump.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Part of "Brand New Congress" to fight special interests.
Joe Manchin III: Expand Social Security without privatization.
Patrick Morrisey: Reforms to keep Social Security & Medicare solvent.
Joe Manchin III: Wealthy corporations got greatest benefit from Trump tax cut.
Patrick Morrisey: Trump tax cuts mean West Virginians receive bonuses & raises.
Don Blankenship: Stands behind Trump's agenda including the tax reform bill.
Patrick Morrisey: Favors a flat tax.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Cut taxes for middle/working class.
Joe Manchin III: Supports infrastructure investment.
Joe Manchin III: Overturn FCC repeal of net neutrality.
Patrick Morrisey: Supports infrastructure investment.
Patrick Morrisey: Improving infrastructure a must.
Paula Jean Swearengin: Invest $4.6 trillion in infrastructure.
War & Peace|
Joe Manchin III: Withdraw from Iranian nuclear treaty.
Patrick Morrisey: Withdraw from Iranian nuclear treaty.
Paula Jean Swearengin: End wars of choice; protect human rights when needed.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Don Blankenship Republican candidate for West Virginia U. S. Senator West Virginia
- Evan Jenkins Republican candidate for West Virginia U.S. Senator West Virginia
- Joe Manchin III West Virginia Former Democratic Governor (Until 2010)
- Patrick Morrisey Republican candidate for West Virginia U.S. Senator West Virginia
- Paula Jean Swearengin Democratic candidate for West Virginia U. S. Senator West Virginia
The above quotations are from 2018 West Virginia Senate race: debates and news coverage.