Gretchen Whitmer on Energy & Oil
Oppose withdrawal from Paris Climate Accord
Q: Consider climate change a critical threat? Limit creation of greenhouse gases? Participate in U.S. Climate Alliance, a coalition of states committed to climate change action?
Bill Schuette (R): No. Joined letter arguing that science wasn't settled,
so Exxon wasn't lying about climate change. Opposed "burdensome" EPA regulations and Obama Clean Power Plan.
Gretchen Whitmer (D): Yes.
Opposed Trump withdrawal from Paris Climate Accord. Called on Gov Snyder to join U.S. Climate Alliance. Create state Office of Climate Change.
Q: Government support for renewable energy?
Bill Schuette (R): No. Opposed 2012 initiative to require 25% of electricity production from renewables by 2025.
Gretchen Whitmer (D): Yes. Strong support for renewables.
Source: CampusElect.org Issue Guide on 2018 Michigan Governor race
, Oct 9, 2018
Promote increased use of alternative fuel technology
Whitmer indicates support of the following principles concerning environment and energy.
Source: VoteSmart Michigan 2004 National Political Awareness Test
, Nov 1, 2004
- Promote increased use of alternative fuel technology.
- Use state funds to clean up former industrial and commercial sites that are
contaminated, unused, or abandoned.
- Support funding for open space preservation.
- Enact environmental regulations even if they are stricter than federal law.
- Prohibit the hunting of mourning doves in Michigan.
Page last updated: Mar 15, 2020