Joe Dorman on Education
I will continue to be a champion for public education
I'll invest in education. Our teachers, our students, our state deserve better. We have to provide adequate resources to eliminate overcrowded classrooms. I will continue to be a champion for public education--working across the aisle to raise salaries
for our teachers, because the job of educating Oklahoma kids shouldn't require financial sacrifice at home.
Together we will put our schools on the path towards a 21st century classroom and ensure that Oklahoma schools are the best in the nation.
Source: 2014 Oklahoma Gubernatorial campaign website JoeDorman.com
, Jul 2, 2014
Let students express religious viewpoints in schools
Dorman voted YEA on HB2633, Religious Expression in Schools; Bill Passed Concurrence Vote in House (70-28).
Source: Vote Smart's Synopsis of Oklahoma Legislative voting records
, May 12, 2008
- Prohibits school districts from discriminating against a student who expresses a religious viewpoint on an otherwise permissible
- Requires school districts to establish a limited public forum that does not discriminate against the voluntary expression of a religious viewpoint by a student at all school events at which students will speak.
- Requires the school district
to state that the speech of students in the public forum does not reflect the endorsement, sponsorship, position or expression of the district.
- Authorizes students to express religious beliefs in class assignments without discrimination and requires
assignments to be judged by ordinary academic standards.
- Authorizes students to organize religious groups to the same extent that students are permitted to organize other extracurricular groups, including access to school facilities.
Page last updated: Jul 15, 2017