Outline of the 2002 Platform of the
Massachusetts Democratic Party
The 2002 platform is the current platform for the Massachusetts Democratic Party.
It was amended at the 2003 Convention, including our Accountability Amendment upon which the Mass Scorecard is based.
Please note that the Mass Scorecard is not a representative body of the Massachusetts Democratic Party and does not have the approval nor the
cooperation of the Massachusetts Democratic Party in creating this website.
- Families and Individuals.
- Inclusion, Diversity and Affirmative Action.
- No Child Left Behind.
- Family & Medical Leave and Help for Parents and Children.
- Gender Equality.
- Older Americans.
- Persons with Disabilities.
- Domestic Partnership.
- Youth and Civic Involvement.
- Responsibility to Community.
- Education Reform and Innovation.
- Full Funding.
- Strong Standards.
- Quality Teaching in Smaller Classes.
- Excellence, Equality and Community.
- Universal Early Childhood Education.
- After-School and Other Out-of-School Opportunities.
- Parental Involvement.
- Education Technology.
- Putting Education to Work.
- Safe Schools.
- Modernized Schools.
- Student Loans and Higher Education.
- Adult Education.
- Health Care.
- Access and Costs.
- HMOs and Quality of Care.
- Health Care Economy and Fiscal Stability.
- Mental Health.
- Not-for-profit Care and Essential Services.
- Choice and Reproductive Health Care.
- Expanding Opportunity.
- Workforce Training.
- A Healthy Business Environment.
- Supporting Small Businesses.
- Competitive Advantage and a Global Economy.
- Growing Tourism.
- Farming, Fishing and Aquaculture.
- Supporting the Transition from Welfare to Work.
- Privatization Accountability.
- Tax Fairness and Responsible Budgeting.
- Investments and Tax Relief.
- Consumer Protection.
- Crime Prevention.
- Guns and Assault Weapons.
- The Death Penalty.
- Family Violence.
- Victims’ Rights.
- Probation Reform.
- Juvenile Justice.
- Legal Services.
- Hate Crimes.
- Urban Investment.
- Redlining and Predatory Lending.
- Rental Opportunities.
- Public Housing.
- On-site Services.
- Safeguarding Natural Resources.
- Environmental Justice.
- Climate Change.
- Smart Growth and Discouraging Sprawl.
- Solid Waste and Pollution Prevention.
- Toxics Use Reductions and Right-to-Know.
- Hazardous Waste Cleanup.
- Clean Water.
- Clean Air.
- Reduced Vehicle Emissions.
- Environmental Law Enforcement.
- Federal/State Cooperation and Compliance Assistance.
- Clean Elections.
- National Campaign Finance Reform.
- Ballot Access.
- Right to Organize and Strike, and Collective Bargaining.
- Contingent Workers.
- Occupational Safety.
- Discrimination in the Workplace.
- America’s Role in a Global Community.
- Democracy and Prosperity Abroad.
- Weapons Reductions.
- The United Nations and Human Rights Conventions.
Charter of the Democratic Party of the Commonwealth of
As Amended June 2, 2001
SECTION V. Adherence to Platform by Democratic Officials
The most recent Democratic platform and/or agenda is the
official position of the Democratic Party. Every Democratic committee
member, every Democratic nominee, and every official elected as the
Democratic nominee shall adhere to the national, state, and any local
platform, in that order of priority, in all official statements and
actions. Failure to do so shall not result in any removal or loss of
rights within the Party, but may be publicized by resolutions or other
appropriate action of any Party convention, conference, committee, or
Platform of the Democratic Party of the Commonwealth of
Action Agenda May 2003:
We know that public cynicism and disillusionment with politics creates a lack of participation, which is a threat to our democratic system. Therefore, we call for:
The Accountability Amendment
Promoting accountability to the Party Platform and reinforcing the Party’s commitment to social and economic justice, by publishing a ‘scorecard’ by March 1 of each year, indicating how Democratic legislators voted on 10 fundamental issues from the current Party Platform.
Mass Scorecard Home Page
Mass Senate Scorecard
Mass House Scorecard
Describe all Senate votes
Describe all House votes
Mass Scorecard Videos
Mass Democratic Party Platforms