Mike Quigley on Immigration
Declare Fair and Equal County for Immigrants
Mike is proud to stand up for the men and women who work every day to build and improve their adopted country. He knows that our economy and communities are stronger because of their contributions.
Mike has been a strong and tireless advocate for
the rights of immigrants in Cook County--and will take that same fight to Congress. He'll stand up to the extremists in Congress who try to use immigrants as scapegoats and whose harsh policies would divide spouses, parents and children.
Mike will fight for the rights of families to stay united here in America.
On the Cook County Board, Mike co-sponsored a resolution declaring our community a "Fair and Equal County for Immigrants," which ensures that government services and benefits
cannot be denied to a person based on immigrant status.
Mike fought for passage of the Matricula Consular bill, giving many immigrants the chance to open bank accounts and register their children for public school.
Source: 2010 House campaign website quigleyforcongress.com, "Issues"
, Oct 30, 2011
Allow more visas for STEM college graduates.
Quigley co-sponsored Attracting the Best and Brightest Act
Source: HR6412/S3553 12-HR6412 on Sep 14, 2012
- Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to make up to 50,000 visas available to qualified immigrants who:
- possess a graduate degree at the level of master's or higher in a field of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM degree) from a qualifying U.S. research institution of higher education;
- have an employment offer from a U.S. employer in a field related to such degree;
- are the subject of an approved labor certification; and
- will receive a wage for such employment that is at least the actual wage paid by the employer to all other individuals with similar experience and qualifications.
- Makes unused STEM visas available for other employment-based visa categories.
- Makes available on the DHS website information regarding foreign STEM employers, the number of aliens granted STEM status, and their occupations.
Let illegal alien children attend school.
Quigley signed American Dream Act
Source: H.R.1751 2009-H1751 on Mar 26, 2009
- Amends the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 to repeal the denial of an unlawful alien's eligibility for higher education benefits based on state residence unless a US national is similarly eligible without regard to such state residence.
- Cancels the removal of conditional permanent resident status of an alien who:
- entered the US before his or her 16th birthday and has been present in the US for at least five years immediately preceding enactment of this Act;
- is a person of good moral character;
- is not inadmissible or deportable under specified grounds of the Immigration and Nationality Act; and
- at the time of application, has been admitted to an institution of higher education or has earned a high school or equivalent diploma.
- Authorizes an alien who has satisfied the appropriate requirements prior to enactment of this Act to petition the Secretary for conditional permanent resident status.
Sponsored bill limiting non-visa entries by country.
Quigley sponsored limiting non-visa entries by country
A BILL: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to extend the authority of the Secretary of Homeland Security to waive certain requirements under the visa waiver program for an additional 2 years.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, [that] Section 217(c)(8)(A)(iii) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1187) is amended--
- by striking 'June 30, 2009' and inserting 'June 30, 2011'; and
- by striking 'July 1, 2009' and inserting 'July 1, 2011'.
[Section 217(c)(8)(A)(iii), in its pre-amended context, appears below]:
Source: Immigration and Nationality Act Amendment (H.R.2954) 2009-H2954 on Jun 18, 2009
- (8) Nonimmigrant visa refusal rate flexibility
- (A) Certification
- (i) In general: On the date on which an air exit system is in place that can verify the departure of not less than 97% of foreign nationals who exit through airports of the US and the electronic travel authorization system required are in place.
- (ii)The Secretary shall notify
Congress in writing of the date on which the air exit system fully satisfies the biometric requirements specified.
- (iii) Temporary suspension of waiver authority: if the Secretary has not notified Congress by June 30, 2009, the Secretary's waiver authority shall be suspended beginning on July 1, 2009, until such time as the Secretary makes such notification.
- (B) Waiver: the Secretary may waive the [rules] for a country if--
- the totality of the country's security risk mitigation measures provide assurance that the country's participation in the program would not compromise the law enforcement, security interests, or enforcement of the immigration laws of the United States;
- the country cooperated with the Government of the United States on counterterrorism initiatives, information sharing, and preventing terrorist travel.
2012 Governor, House and Senate candidates on Immigration:
Mike Quigley on other issues:
Lame-duck session 2012:
KY-4: Thomas Massie(R)
NJ-9: Donald Payne Jr.(D)
WA-1: Suzan DelBene(D)
Re-seated Former Reps:
AZ-1: Ann Kirkpatrick(D)
AZ-5: Matt Salmon(R)
FL-8: Alan Grayson(D)
NH-1: Carol Shea-Porter(D)
NV-3: Dina Titus(D)
2013 Resignations and Replacements:
IL-2:Jesse Louis Jackson(D,resigned)
MO-8:Jo Ann Emerson(R,resigned)
AZ-9: Kyrsten Sinema
CA-2: Jared Huffman
CA-7: Ami Bera
CA-35:Gloria Negrete McLeod
CT-5: Elizabeth Esty
HI-2: Tulsi Gabbard
IL-8: Tammy Duckworth
MD-6: John Delaney
MA-4: Joe Kennedy III
MI-5: Dan Kildee
MN-8: Rick Nolan
NV-4: Steven Horsford
NH-2: Annie Kuster
NM-1: Michelle Lujan-Grisham
NY-5: Grace Meng
WA-6: Derek Kilmer
WI-2: Mark Pocan
AR-4: Tom Cotton
CA-1: Doug LaMalfa
FL-3: Ted Yoho
FL-6: Ron DeSantis
GA-9: Doug Collins
IN-2: Jackie Walorski
IN-5: Susan Brooks
IN-6: Luke Messer
KY-6: Andy Barr
MO-2: Ann Wagner
MT-0: Steve Daines
NC-8: Richard Hudson
NC-9: Robert Pittenger
ND-0: Kevin Cramer
OH-2: Brad Wenstrup
OK-1: Jim Bridenstine
OK-2: Markwayne Mullin
PA-4: Scott Perry
SC-7: Tom Rice
UT-2: Chris Stewart
Longworth HOB 1319, Washington, DC 20515
Page last updated: Apr 13, 2013