This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Bill Sponsorship: calling for Burma's junta to release political prisoners
Source: Aung San Suu Kyi Resolution (S.RES.250)
- WHEREAS Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi has dedicated her life to the peaceful, non-violent movement for democracy and reconciliation in the Union of Burma;
- WHEREAS Aung San Suu Kyi and the National League for Democracy won a majority of parliamentary seats in Burma's last election held in 1990;
- WHEREAS the State Peace and Development Council of Burma refuses to cede power and permit representative government and has detained Aung San Suu Kyi under house arrest for 11 of the last 17 years;
- WHEREAS the ruling military junta has committed numerous, well-documented atrocities against the people of Burma;
- WHEREAS Aung San Suu Kyi continues to promote peaceful dialogue and reconciliation despite mistreatment from the State Peace and Development Council;
- WHEREAS the United States recognizes and supports the dedication and commitment to freedom demonstrated by Aung San Suu Kyi:
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, That the Senate--
- (1) honors Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi for her courage and devotion to the people of the Union of Burma and their struggle for democracy; and
- (2)calls for the immediate release of Aung San Suu Kyi and other political prisoners by the State Peace and Development Council.
- Topic: Foreign Policy
- Headline: Call for Burma's junta to release political prisoners
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 2007-SR250
||s1o||NC Former Cabinet Member (Labor Sec'y) and Senator|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: