This page contains excerpts from government reports, signed by elected officials.
on Jan 6, 2001
Report: the CBC principles:
Source: Congressional Black Caucus press release
The Congressional Black Caucus is committed to improving America’s health care system by focusing on, among other items, the following issue areas:
- Eliminating Health Care Disparities.The CBC will emphasize the importance of eliminating health care disparities as it relates to access, treatment and availability in communities of color and other disadvantaged communities. The CBC will also ensure that America keeps its promise to our veterans, and will support funding for the best health care programs at our veterans’ hospitals.
- Patients’ Bill of Rights. The CBC will support a strong and enforceable Patients’ Bill of Rights that puts medical decisions back in the hands of doctors, and gives patients the right to seek damages when they are harmed by decisions influenced by non-medical professionals.
- Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit. The CBC supports a prescription benefit program for the Medicare program. The price of
prescription drugs is too high for most seniors, and many seniors go without the necessary medication they need, or have to choose between conflicting priorities.
- Support for Health Providers in Underserved Communities. The CBC will support the development of networks of providers, community hospitals and health centers in underserved communities to increase the quality of care provided to patients. We will also seek funding and technical assistance to assist Community Health Centers in developing a system of comprehensive health services in both urban and rural communities.
- Healthy Children. The CBC will work to expand the Children’s Health Insurance Program. We will also focus on increasing immunization rates, better dietary and physical fitness programs, prevention of teenage pregnancies and anti-drug and smoking initiatives. In addition, we will support efforts to ensure that mental health is covered under basic health plans.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 5.
Question 5: More federal funding for health coverage
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Health Care
- Headline: More funding for Rx benefits, community health, CHIPs
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 01-CBC6
participating in 01-CBC6
||s1a||Virgin Islands -|
||s1a||NY 2010 Democratic Primary Challenger; previously US Rep (TN)|
||s1a||FL 2010 Democratic Senate Challenger; currently US Rep.|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: