Tea Party Patriots:
The Second American Revolution,
by Mark Meckler and Jenny Beth Martin
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Tea Party Patriots: The Second American Revolution (number of quotes indicated):
- Barack Obama (1)
- Ronald Reagan (1)
- Tea Party (8)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
BOOK REVIEW by OnTheIssues.org:
This book defines the Tea Party from the perspective of grassroots organizers. The two authors are leaders of the grassroots organization "Tea Party Patriots," which is also the book's title. The authorship differentiates this book from the others in our series defining the Tea Party:
This book outlines "The 40-Year Plan," (described on p. 203), for which the Tea Party Patriots' website is dedicated to filling in the details by grassroots contribution of ideas. This book outlines the framework for the 40-Year Plan, and the website provides an interactive forum for members to discuss and finalize the details. The outline of the plan matches the table of contents of the book; the book has one chapter dedicated to each of five "pathways" plus another chapter dedicated to explaining its background:
In addition, the book describes how the authors got started in the Tea Party movement, and offers plenty in the way of defining the Tea Party's issue stances. Their purpose in writing the book, as excerpted from the introduction (pp. 11-3) follows:
The Five Pathways to Liberty
- The Economic Pathway to Liberty
- The Political Pathway to Liberty
- The Educational Pathway to Liberty
- The Judicial Pathway to Liberty
- The Cultural Pathway to Liberty
This book is a personal perspective from two of the founders of the grassroots Tea Party movement. It doesn't offer much in the way of "big picture" or academic perspective, but it does counter the false idea that the Tea Party has no grassroots. A must-read for those interested in understanding the Tea Party, or for those interested in participating.
Jenny Beth and I are writing this book for a number of reasons. First, we think it's important for people to know how the Tea Party movement came into being. Second, people need to know what the Tea Party movement is, and what is isn't. Third, we want everyone to know that Tea Party Patriots has a plan to restore America to its prior greatness.
-- Jesse Gordon, editor-in-chief, OnTheIssues.org, March 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Barack Obama: OpEd: Stimulus bill derisively called "porkulus".
Tea Party: Against Bush's bailout bill & against Obama's stimulus bill.
Tea Party: Act of cowardice by lawmakers to inflict generational harm.
Tea Party: OpEd: Congress waives PAYGO even when slightly inconvenient.
Tea Party: Rise up against takeover of banks, cars, & health insurance.
Principles & Values|
Ronald Reagan: If not us, who? And if not now, when?
Tea Party: Tea Party Patriots organized after Rick Santelli rant.
Tea Party: We, the people, feel threatened as our nation slips away.
Tea Party: Tea Partiers took action and made it up as we went along.
Tea Party: Open-source community grew to 1.2 million in 2 months.
The above quotations are from Tea Party Patriots:
The Second American Revolution,
by Mark Meckler and Jenny Beth Martin.
Books about the Tea Party Movement:
- America the Beautiful, by Dr. Ben Carson, 2012
- The Second American Revolution, by the Tea Party Patriots, 2012
- The Remaking of Republican Conservatism, by Theda Skocpol & Vanessa Williamson, 2012
- An American Son, by Marco Rubio, 2012
- The Rise of Marco Rubio, by Manuel Rogi-Franzia, 2012
- The Tea Party: A Brief History, by Ronald Formisano, 2012
- Michele Bachmann: Why She Will Win, by Ron Paul Jones, 2011
- Core of Conviction, by Rep. Michele Bachmann, 2011
- Take the Risk, by Dr. Ben Carson, 2007
- The FairTax Book, by Rep. John Linder, 2006
- Give Us Liberty: A Tea Party Manifesto, by Rep. Dick Armey
- Troublemaker, by Christine O`Donnell
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Sen. Rand Paul
- The Freedom Agenda, by Sen. Mike Lee
- Now Or Never, by Sen. Jim DeMint
Page last edited: Oct 25, 2013