Vote number 2006-130 allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security
on May 18, 2006
regarding bill S.Amdt.3985 to S.2611 Preclusion of Social Security Credits
Results: Motion to table passed, 50-49
Voting YEA would table (kill) the proposed amendment to prohibit illegal immigrants from receiving Social Security benefits. Voting NAY supports that prohibition, while voting YEA supports immigrants participating in Social Security. Text of amendment:
To reduce document fraud, prevent identity theft, and preserve the integrity of the Social Security system, by ensuring that persons who receive an adjustment of status under this bill are not able to receive Social Security benefits as a result of unlawful activity.
Proponents of the amendment say to vote NAY because:
- The Immigration Reform bill would allow people to qualify for social security based on work they did while they were illegally present in the US and illegally working in the US. People who broke the law to come here and broke the law to work here can benefit from their conduct to collect social security.
- In some cases, illegal immigrants may have stolen an American citizen's identity. They may have stolen an American's social security number to fraudulently work. This amendment corrects this problem.
Opponents of the amendment say to vote YEA because:
- Americans understand that for years there are undocumented workers who have tried to follow our laws and be good neighbors and good citizens, and have paid into the Social Security Trust Fund.
- Once that person regularizes his or her status, and as they proceed down the path to earned citizenship, they should have the benefit after having followed the law and made those contributions. That is fairness.
- We should not steal their funds or empty their Social Security accounts. That is not fair. It does not reward their hard work or their financial contributions.
- The amendment proposes to change existing law to prohibit an individual from gaining the benefit of any contributions made while the individual was in an undocumented status. I oppose this amendment and believe it is wrong.
Voting YES counts for 2 points on VoteMatch question 12:
Illegal immigrants earn citizenship;
Voting NO counts for -2 points on VoteMatch question 12.
voting on 2006-130
||YES||VT Former Independent Senator (retired 2006)|
||YES||FL Former GOP Senator (resigned 2009); previously HUD Secy.|