||July 28, 1943, in Crystal City, Missouri, the only child of Warren and Susan Bradley, a banker and a schoolteacher.
The Bradleys lived a comfortable, middle-class life in a small, blue-collar company town on the banks of the Mississippi River, thirty-six miles south of St. Louis.
||Bradley is married to the former Ernestine Schlant,
a professor of German and Comparative Literature at Montclair State University in New Jersey.
They have one daughter and Mrs. Bradley has an adult daughter from a previous marriage.
Schlant most recently authored The Language of Silence, a study of German literature's reaction to the Holocaust.
||Joined the Air Force Reserves, based at McGuire AFB in Wrightstown, NJ.
He served on active duty for nearly six months in 1967.
- Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University; graduate degree in politics, philosophy and economics.
- Graduated from Princeton University in 1965 with a degree with honors in American history.
- Matriculated but never attended Duke University in North Carolina on an athletic scholarship.
- Authored Values of the Game in 1998, expressing lessons learned from the sport of basketball.
- Authored Time Present, Time Past in 1996, a memoir about life as a senator and his travels.
- Authored Life on the Run in 1976, chronicling his experiences in the NBA.
- Played basketball professionally for the New York Knicks (1967-77),
winning two NBA championships (1970, 1973) as the team's starting forward.
- Bradley represented New Jersey in the US Senate from 1978 to 1997.
- Bradley's legislative accomplishments included the 1986 Tax Reform Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and Megan's Law.
- His focus as a Senator included more money for college loans, economic empowerment zones, and protecting children from the dangers of tobacco.
- Bradley served as an intern in the early 1960s in the congressional office of Richard Schweiker (R-Pa.)
and then on the presidential campaign of former Pennsylvania Governor William W. Scranton.
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about Bradley from Amazon.com)