This page contains Congressional resolutions.
Resolutions indicate the topics that legislators care about, but cannot legislate about.
on Nov 19, 1999
Resolution: the Midwestern Governors' Conference resolution:
Source: Resolution of Midwestern Governors' Conf. on Agri. Trade
- WHEREAS, The Midwestern Governorsí Conference (MGC) has recognized that agriculture producers are primarily family-owned farms and cannot compete against trade barriers such as prohibitive tariffs, excessive requirements for food items unrelated to the safety of the product, and the continued existence of state trading enterprises; and
- WHEREAS, Markets such as Europe are not approving US agricultural technology rapidly enough to allow for US products to stay competitive; now therefore be it
- RESOLVED, The MGC is committed to ensuring US agricultural exports are able to move freely in all foreign markets in order to strengthen the economic situation of the agriculture industry;
- RESOLVED, That because the Seattle Ministerial is seen as a unique opportunity to highlight American agricultural products to the WTO delegates
and to insure that agriculture trade issues are not left unresolved as in previous international trade negotiations, the MGC urge US negotiators to refrain from finalizing any sector agreements, until all sector agreements are successfully negotiated;
- RESOLVED, That the MGC call upon Congress to support fast-track authority to be granted to the President;
- RESOLVED, That the MGC call for the elimination of foreign export subsidies, dumping activities, and unjustified import quotas and include these issues in negotiations with the WTO;
- RESOLVED, That the MGC urge that the United States Trade Representative focus WTO agricultural negotiations on gaining approval for new US agricultural products and technology in other markets; and
- RESOLVED, That the MGC call for the establishment of a speedy resolution process within the WTO for addressing the issues of non-tariff barriers.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 13.
Question 13: Support & expand free trade
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Free Trade
- Headline: Grant fast-track authority to the President
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 99-MGC4
||s1s||MO Democratic Senator (Former)|
||s1s||NE Democratic Sr Senator (Retiring)|
||s1s||IN Former Democratic Governor (1997-2003)|
||s1s||KY Former Democrat Governor (1995-2003)|
||s1s||ND Former Democratic Governor (1992-2000); Cabinet Sec'y (USDA)|
||s1s||IA Former Democratic Governor (1994-2002); Cabinet Sec'y (USDA)|
participating in 99-MGC4
||s1s||MI Former Republican Governor (1991-2002)|
||s1s||KS Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|
||s1s||SD00 Former Republican Governor (1979=1986 & 1995-2002)|
||s1s||IL Former Republican Governor (1999-2002)|
||s1s||OH Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: