This page contains Congressional resolutions.
Resolutions indicate the topics that legislators care about, but cannot legislate about.
on Oct 14, 1999
Resolution: the Midwestern Governors' Conference resolution:
Source: Resolution of Midwestern Governors' Conf. on Canadian Border
- WHEREAS, the United States and Canada share the longest undefended border in the world; and
- WHEREAS, the United States and Canada have the largest bilateral trade relationship in the world, exceeding $1 billion every day; and
- WHEREAS, the rate of cross-border traffic is steadily increasing, with billions of dollars worth of goods and tens of millions of American and Canadian citizens crossing the land border each year; and
- WHEREAS, Section 110 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 requires the U.S. Attorney General to develop an automated entry-exit control system to register “all aliens” entering and departing the United States; and
- WHEREAS, this system will place an unmanageable requirement on border-crossing services, impose serious delays at the Canada-U.S. land border and result in unintended negative consequences for international trade, tourism, and the economies in our region; and
- WHEREAS, reports about serious congestion at the Canada-U.S. border have generated concern and uncertainty in the business community; and
- WHEREAS, the United States Senate has passed the Commerce-State-Justice Appropriations Bill and State Department Reauthorization legislation which repeal the entry-exit control system required by Section 110; now therefore be it
- RESOLVED, that the Midwestern Governors’ Conference calls on Congress and the President to repeal Section 110 because of the its adverse impact on legitimate cross border traffic at land border points of entry.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 12.
Question 12: Pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Immigration
- Headline: Ease Canadian border-crossing rules
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 99-MGC1
||s1s||MO Democratic Senator (Former)|| |
||s1s||NE Democratic Sr Senator (Retiring)|| |
||s1s||IN Former Democratic Governor (1997-2003)|| |
||s1s||KY Former Democrat Governor (1995-2003)|| |
||s1s||ND Former Democratic Governor (1992-2000); Cabinet Sec'y (USDA)|| |
||s1s||IA Former Democratic Governor (1994-2002); Cabinet Sec'y (USDA)|| |
participating in 99-MGC1
||s1s||MI Former Republican Governor (1991-2002)|| |
||s1s||KS Former Republican Governor (1995-2002)|| |
||s1s||SD00 Former Republican Governor (1979=1986 & 1995-2002)|| |
||s1s||IL Former Republican Governor (1999-2002)|| |
||s1s||OH Former Republican Governor (1999-2006)|| |
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: