This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Bill Sponsorship: S2710 & HR4803
Source: Women and Minorities in STEM Booster Act
Grant program to increase the participation of women and underrepresented minorities in STEM fields. Congress finds the following:
- STEM education at the undergraduate level is vital to developing a workforce that will allow the US to remain the leader in the 21st century global economy.
- Women and minorities comprise over half of the US workforce but only make up 26% of STEM workers.
- Approximately 52% of women and minorities in STEM fields quit their jobs about 10 years into their careers.
- It is important for gender equality to increase the retention of women in STEM fields, as women in STEM careers earn 33% more than those in non-STEM jobs, and have a smaller wage gap relative to men.
- The US should address the need to increase the number of individuals from underrepresented minority segments of the population who work in engineering.
- Women and underrepresented minorities leave the STEM fields at higher rates than their counterparts, leading to a need to develop resources to retain these groups in the STEM fields.
- An eligible entity that receives a grant under this section shall use such grant funds to carry out one or more of the following activities designed to increase the participation of women or minorities underrepresented in science and engineering:
Also see the related House of Representatives bill H.R.4803
- Online workshops.
- 2) Mentoring programs that partner STEM professionals with students.
- Internships for undergraduate and graduate students in the STEM fields.
- Conducting outreach programs that provide elementary school and secondary school students with opportunities to increase their exposure to STEM fields.
- Programs to increase the recruitment and retention of underrepresented faculty.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 2.
Question 2: Legally require hiring women & minorities
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Education
- Headline: Recruit women & minorities for STEM teaching
- Headline 2: Recruit women & minorities for STEM teaching
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 16-S2710
participating in 16-S2710
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: