This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Bill Sponsorship: Recognizing National Foster Care Month
RESOLUTION recognizing National Foster Care Month as an opportunity to raise awareness about the challenges of children in the foster care system, and encouraging Congress to implement policy to improve the lives of children in the foster care system.
- Whereas there are approximately 400,000 children living in foster care;
- Whereas foster care is intended to be a temporary placement, but children remain in the foster care system for an average of 2 years;
- Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
- encourages Congress to implement policy to minimize the number of children entering the foster care system, to improve the lives of children in the foster care system, and to maximize the number of children exiting foster care to the protection of safe, loving, and permanent families;
- acknowledges the unique needs of children in the foster-care system;
- recognizes foster youth throughout the US for their ongoing tenacity, courage, and resilience while facing life
- acknowledges the exceptional alumni of the foster-care system who serve as advocates and role models for youth who remain in care;
- honors the commitment and dedication of the individuals who work tirelessly to provide assistance and services to children in the foster-care system; and
- reaffirms the need to continue working to improve the outcomes of all children in the foster-care system through parts B and E of title IV of the Social Security Act and other programs designed to
- support vulnerable families;
- invest in prevention and reunification services;
- promote guardianship, adoption, and other permanent placement opportunities in cases where reunification is not in the best interests of the child;
- adequately serve those children brought into the foster-care system; and
- facilitate the successful transition into adulthood for children that 'age-out' of the foster-care system.
Also see related House bill, H.Res.577
- Topic: Families & Children
- Headline: Sponsored recognition of National Foster Care Month
- Headline 2: Authored recognition of National Foster Care Month
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 14_SRes442
||s1s||PA Democratic Sr Senator; previously state treasurer||May 13, 2014|
||s1s||CA Democratic Sr Senator||May 13, 2014|
||s1s||NC Democratic Jr Senator||May 13, 2014|
||s1s||ND Democratic Challenger||May 13, 2014|
||s1s||VA Democratic Challenger||May 13, 2014|
||s1s||MN Democrat/DFL Sr Senator||May 13, 2014|
||s2p||LA Democratic Sr Senator|| |
||s1s||MI Democratic Sr Senator (retiring 2014)||May 13, 2014|
||s1s||OR Democratic Sr Senator||May 13, 2014|
participating in 14_SRes442