This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
Bill Sponsorship: OPEN Act
Congressional Summary:The Online Protection and Enforcement of Digital Trade Act (or OPEN Act) addresses unfair trade practices relating to infringement of copyrights and trademarks by certain Internet sites. Defines an 'Internet site dedicated to infringing activity' as a website that:
Exclusions from prosecution::
- is accessed through a nondomestic domain name;
- conducts business directed to residents of the US; and
- whose operator primarily uses the site to willfully infringe a copyright, or uses counterfeit marks.
- if the Internet site has a practice of expeditiously removing material that is claimed to be infringing after notification by the owner of the copyright.;
- because the Internet site engages in an activity that would not make the operator liable for monetary relief;
- because distribution of copies were made without infringing a copyright or trademark.
OnTheIssues Notes:This bill is intended as a replacement for SOPA and PIPA, the two bills which sparked an Internet protest in January 2012 and a shutdown of Wikipedia.com and google.com. Google and Facebook prefer the OPEN Act; the music and movie industries prefer SOPA and PIPA. Independent content creators, which include OnTheIssues.org and the Copyright Alliance, oppose all three bills on free speech grounds, and because large corporate website have resources to fight legal battles while small independent websites do not.
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 13.
Question 13: Support & expand free trade
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Technology
- Headline: Sponsored stopping foreign internet piracy of copyrighted materials
- Headline 2: Stop foreign internet piracy of copyrighted materials
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 12-H3782
||s1p||CA03 Former Initiator of Gubernatorial Recall (2003)|
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: