This page lists memberships in organizations, for elected officials.
Each organization determines its own rules for membership.
Decided Mar 2, 2011
Membership Roster: of the House Committee on Ethics
Source: U.S. House of Representatives website, www.house.gov
The House Ethics Committee's functions revolve around the standards of ethical conduct for members of the House. Under this authority, it:
The committee has an equal number of members from each party, unlike the rest of the committees, which are constituted with the majority of members and the committee chair coming from the party that controls the House. This even split has limited its power by giving either political party an effective veto over the actions of the committee.
- Agrees on a set of rules that regulate what behavior is considered ethical for members (rules relating to gifts, travel, campaign activities, treatment of staff, conflicts of interest, etc.)
- Conducts investigations into whether members have violated these standards
- Makes recommendations to the whole House on what action, if any, should be taken as a result of the investigations (e.g. censure, expulsion from the House, or nothing, if the member is found not to be violating a rule)
- Provides advice to members before they (the members) take action, so as to avoid uncertainty over ethical culpability.
In response to criticism of the House Ethics Committee, the House created the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE), an independent non-partisan entity established to monitor ethical conduct in the House.
- Topic: Government Reform
- Headline: Member of House Committee on Ethics
- Headline 2: Chair of House Committee on Ethics
- Headline 3: Leader of House Committee on Ethics
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 11-HC-Eth
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: